Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Font index message

I keep getting this message at start up and the help that is displayed suggest clicking quit to avoid it, but there is no quit button!

Any help?

Turan

PS E: is my CD drive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara_problem.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	22426  
    Last edited by Turan; 30 November 2005 at 11:37 PM.

Default Re: Font index message

You have some fonts installed from a CD, but the CD is not in the machine. I would take a look at the fonts gallery first, then start digging in the registry.

I know I would get that all the time when I had my clipart on a CD and forgot to put it in the machine...

Thanks John, I actually have a cd in the drive with a fonts folder in it! but I've never 'added' it to the fonts gallary.

In the fonts gallary there is an option to add a font folder, but there is no option to remove that folder.

Not even sure what a font index is! I tried adding the fonts to e: after I got the error, but it says it can't cus there is no index! Ahhhhhhh

Turan

Fastest fix for this would be a remove and reinstall... But there are slower harder ones...

It lasts over a re-install!

Any other ideas? Xara are you there?

Turan

Hi,

the error message is caused by the way that XARA handles the clip-art Font libraries. When you insert a font library and click on the add button, in reality XARA DOES NOT COPY physically the font files from the CD to the XARA Fonts folder, but just write into the windows registry the path where the CD was.
    If you click on the Font gallery icon, and select the section that contains your new font AND THE CD IS STILL INSIDE the drive, all works well, but if you remove the CD, you get that error. In order to fix, you need just to select the faulty section and press the REMOVE button in the gallery.
    So it is important to have the additional fonts into a folder on the Hard disk.

Regards.

Roberto

... correction to my last post after a check. I was confusing with another XARA error message. The error message I was referring is "Failed to locate the Index for 'TrueType'. Skip will skip this section, and Quiet will skip all affected sections"
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/attachme...1&d=1138231986
    Instead, your error message is caused by a NON XARA LIBRARY FONT CD.

In Xara you can not add fonts to the Font Gallery (at least I was never able to do it till a week ago... The only possibility is to install the font in Windows, but you can not store in the Gallery). The XARA Font Library CDs have a special structure with indexes, bitmaps, and font family indexes. That kind of CD or Folders are recognized by XARA Xtreme, and displayed correctly in the Gallery. You can then press ADD, and then the XARA remembers the path, and the CD or folder will be displayed in the gallery until you press REMOVE button.

Regards.

Roberto

Name:	Error2.png 
Views:	618 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	23212  

Trying out the demo. Install went fine and I'm trying to get to the
    2 line color fill and I keep getting the same error message. This has to do with fills , not fonts.

ERROR: Failed To Locate index for "Fill Name ". This happens with quiet a few fills.

How do I fix this? This is really a great first impression on your product.

Also at start up it keeps wanting me to register *.web extensions? wft? isn't one time enough?
    I think this program is having serious issues.

Any help would be apprecated.
    Last edited by vynum; 25 November 2006 at 10:10 PM.

Hi Vynum,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

To answer your last question first. If you have any type of registry protection running the response to the regisister for .web cannot be updated. The registry is where the information is stored. I found that having the Data Execution Prevention enabled on Windows XP can also prevent registry updates.

What are you attempting to do when you receive that message? I personally have never seen it before and I have used Xara Group Ltd programs for more than six years.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

If you have any type of registry protection running
    No I dont.

I found that having the Data Execution Prevention enabled on Windows XP can also prevent registry updates
    My Windows XP is SP1 not SP2. I don't have DEP on my system. How ever I did find this KB Article at Microsoft's website: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351

That you might want to check out, especially the section that reads:
    contact your program vendor to see if an update is available that enables the program to work correctly with DEP.
    Under the RESOLUTION heading.

Now for those who want to know more about what DEP does go here:http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...ef2271033.mspx

What are you attempting to do when you receive that message?
    I simply installed your softare on my computer. Opened it up, started drawing a few shapeds then closed it. Came back a couple of hours later, opend it again and I keep getting this message to register .web extension as shown in the first attached image. It use to keep asking me to register .xar also, but it doesn't do that anymore, just the .web.

Now once I'm in the program, I simply draw out a square box. Now I want to fill this box with a 2 color line fill. I was going to show you that error message but now check this out. I lost almost all of my fills in the fill gallery. look at the second attached picture. This is all I got. The 2 line fill, 3 line fill an many more fills have all but disappeard. BEfore I had many fill patterns too choose from, but when trying to open alot of them, I was getting the error message that ANTIMIX as getting only it was for the fills Gallery, not "True Type".

I have uninstalled and reinstalled but that does not fix the problem.

Name:	xara01.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	32552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara02.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	32554  

Last edited by vynum; 26 November 2006 at 04:31 PM.