Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Corel Painter2 not displaying correct colors.

Hi all,
    I am new to the forum so apologies for asking something that may be a repeat. I just bought an Intuos Palette which came with Corel Painter 2. When I launch Corel Painter 2, the only colorwheel displayed is in shades of green and blue, and does not display the array of colors.
    For instance:
    If manually choose "red paint and white background", and then proceed to paint on a white background with red "ink", it shows up as gray on green. Yet when i open up in MS Paint, it shows the correct white background with red ink. I have tried using Adobe Photoshop and no problems with color. Why can't I get Corel Painter 2 to work?
    I have tried to reinstall but improvement there.
    Please help - trying to get through to Corel Tech Support has been a futile exercise.
    Thanks muchly in advance.
    IP

Default Re: Corel Painter2 not displaying correct colors.

Quote Originally Posted by GHbub
    Hi all,
    I am new to the forum so apologies for asking something that may be a repeat. I just bought an Intuos Palette which came with Corel Painter 2. When I launch Corel Painter 2, the only colorwheel displayed is in shades of green and blue, and does not display the array of colors.
    For instance:
    If manually choose "red paint and white background", and then proceed to paint on a white background with red "ink", it shows up as gray on green. Yet when i open up in MS Paint, it shows the correct white background with red ink. I have tried using Adobe Photoshop and no problems with color. Why can't I get Corel Painter 2 to work?
    I have tried to reinstall but improvement there.
    Please help - trying to get through to Corel Tech Support has been a futile exercise.
    Thanks muchly in advance.
    Hi,

First, I'm going to correct some terminology so you'll be able to communicate better in the future, then I'll give you the very easy and quick solution to your blue/green interface problem:

Intuos Tablet (not "Intuos Palette")

Corel Painter Essentials 2 (not "Corel Painter 2")

"Corel Painter 2" doesn't now, and never did exist.

Painter 2 was a full Painter version developed and released by Painter's original owner, Fractal Design, in the early 1990s. It was named Fractal Design Painter 2 and, since it was released in the early 1990s, it would probably not work on today's computers.

Corel Painter Essentials 2 and the more recent version, Corel Painter Essentials 3 are "lite" versions of Corel Painter and don't include most of the features and brushes any full Painter version includes.

• In order to get answers to your questions, it'll be important to specify the Intuos tablet model, either Intuos 2 or Intuos 3 (the most recent model is Intuos 3).

• You'll also need to specify the Painter version, in this case, Corel Painter Essentials 2 (again, the most recent Painter Essentials version is Painter Essentials 3 so, since you just purchased your tablet, be sure you really do have Painter Essentials 2, not 3).

• When asking questions about the software, be sure to use the terminology you see on the Painter Essentials interface. Also use the exact names of brush categories and brush variants.

Now to answer your question:

Close Painter Essentials, then change your screen colors to 24 bit or higher.

Sometimes, when a new program is installed, the screen colors get changed to 16 bit without the user knowing that's happened. Painter software requires 24 bit or higher so if this ever happens again, you'll know what to do.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Jinny Brown; 08 December 2005 at 03:44 AM.
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Hi Jinny,
    Thanks for the suggestions, but alas it did not work. To confirm:
    *I am using Intuos 3
    *I am using Corel Painter Essentials 2
    *I am working at 32 Bit (also tried 16 bit) - did not fix the problem
    *I tried re-installing twice - did not fix the problem
    *I tried Adobe Photoshop CS and the colors displayed fine

Given that the Adobe Photoshop worked, I think the problem lies with the Corel Painter Essentials 2. Any other suggestions please?

Thanks.
    IP

Corel Painter Essentials 3 are "lite" versions of Corel Painter

'Lite' is a bit generous. 'Weighless' would be more appropriate.

GHbub

Essentials is rubbish, it's not like it's useful for anything. Why not download a trial version of Painter9
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by GHbub
    Hi Jinny,
    Thanks for the suggestions, but alas it did not work. To confirm:
    *I am using Intuos 3
    *I am using Corel Painter Essentials 2
    *I am working at 32 Bit (also tried 16 bit) - did not fix the problem
    *I tried re-installing twice - did not fix the problem
    *I tried Adobe Photoshop CS and the colors displayed fine

Given that the Adobe Photoshop worked, I think the problem lies with the Corel Painter Essentials 2. Any other suggestions please?

Thanks.
    Hi GHbub,

Well that's a first!

I'm sorry the fix I suggested didn't work and, again, it's the first time I've heard of it not working. I don't have any idea why it didn't work or what else to suggest, except to give Corel Customer Service a call.

You may feel free to tell them that I suggested changing your screen colors to 24 bit or higher and that I said this is the first time I've heard of that solution not working.

If they insist you call Corel Tech Support (and you can do what I suggest next anyway), post your message on the Corel Painter IX newsgroup. Though that newsgroup is for Painter IX, there are people from Corel who read and post to the newsgroup and probably other artists who are using Corel Painter Essentials 2.

Since this is such a common problem, the blue/green interface, I expect someone there will know the answer. If you see someone posting using the name "Imaging Dev" that's one of the Corel people. You could even address your post to "Imaging Dev and anyone else reading this post" to have a better chance of getting attention from him/her (whoever it might be).

Add Server: cnews.corel.com

Subscribe to: c.PainterIX

Good luck!
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP