Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Colouring backgrounds

I have a fruit still life with lots of layers making up the elements of an onion, tomato etc. They are all sitting on a white background on the canvas layer. I would like to put in a coloured background behind the fruit.I have tried filling the canvas with the colour, and putting in a new layer above the canvas and filling that with a colour, but in both cases, it interacts with the colours of the fruit above, whatever blending modes I try in the new layer. The fruit layers on in gel blending mode, and I have not tried changing all of those. How can I achieve my objective?
    Many thanks
    jwillyf
    IP

Default Re: Colouring backgrounds

I have just seen the post of 25/9/05 & Jinny's reply. My fruit layers are in watercolour state and have not been converted to a default layer. Is this my problem?
    jwillyf
    IP

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Are you saying the layers you have created are all using Gel method? If so that method always interacts with the color of the canvas layer.

Are you using Water Colors? The default method for water colors is Gel.
    IP

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Looks like we were posting at the same time.

You answered your own question.
    IP

Still having problems.
    Just to recap:
    I have a series of watercolour layers, each with a blue drop icon, each in a gel blending mode. In amongst are three pixel based soft cloning layers, with a grey 3 layer icon. The canvas at the bottom is filled with white.
    I want to replace this white canvas layer with a coloured one, that does not interact with the watercolor layers above.
    Filling the canvas layer with a new colour affects all the layers above.
    If I commit the water color layers, the new canvas colour still interacts with the watercolour layers above. If I change the blending mode of the watercolour layers, I get bizarre changes in the already completed colouring of the fruits.
    In Photoshop, it would be a simple matter of dropping in the new colour layer below all the others, but this does not seem to work with Painter, though it's down to me not knowing how.
    I have spent quite a lot of time getting to where I am with this image, and it is undermining my confidence in the software to be able to modify what I have done without wrecking all of the previous work
    Cheers
    jwillyf
    IP

I think I have discovered the problem.
    It seems that the blending modes of the watercolor layers have to be changed to normal to prevent interaction with the new color of the background.
    The 'bizarre' effects on the already painted image that happen when I do this, seem to come from the fact that on the watercolor layers I painted with runny brushes that produce a white fringe around themselves, and this shows up when I change the blending mode. Lots of strokes means lots of white fringing, which completely breaks up the image as previously painted when the blending mode is changed.
    So this raises the question - how do I paint on watercolor layers above a coloured background without getting a white fringing effect.
    IP

Don't have any other Painter version other than the Painter Classic which came with my Graphire tablet. But how about using the tracing paper function? I would suppose it is available, too, in the latest versions. Maybe the watercolor layers wouldn't interact with that? Then if you want to use that as a layer, perhaps flatten the watercolor layer then copy and paste it to your multilayer file....
    Last edited by Grafixman; 01 December 2005 at 12:54 AM.
    IP

Thanks for the responses. Will have to get on with a little experimentation, and perhaps report back in due course
    IP

But surely the watercolours are behaving as you would expect? Watercolour has transparancy so that the colour of the background paper must affect the watercolour paints on it.

Why not start with a coloured background.

Or wash the background colour on before painting.
    IP