Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Going NUTS with Webstyles

Can you control where the graphics and javescript files are saved?

I have designed a nav bar about 10 times and everytime I save the graphics it saves them to my desktop, I don't want them there
    I also assume that you have to save the graphics everytime you make any chances, I ahve been just clicking "save" then the next time I open my project it back to the first time I saved the graphics

My nav bar will have a menu with 2 sub menus, they are as follows
    1960's
    1970's
    1980's
    1990's
    2000's

under each main menu there will be 2 sub menus, for example for 1960's there will be

then each one of these will have another sub menu as follows
    January
    February
    March
    Apri
    May
    June
    July
    August
    September
    October
    November
    December

As you can see there is alot of typing to create these menus, is there a way to create one set and copy and paste to the rest?

I hope someone can answer all my questions

Default Re: Going NUTS with Webstyles

Can you control where the graphics and javescript files are saved?

Yes, open your web page, modify the Navbar. When you go to save it will give you an opportunity to create a a new project. Select yes and enter a project name. Then when you go to save the web page, it will ask you where you want to save it. Save it into "My Website" under

Documents and Setting/your name/My Documents/Mywebsite.

Then from there on in, any save will take you there. You must have accidentally saved it on the Desktop under a project name, now it wants to got there frrom now on.

Doesn't work

I tried what you said to do and when I save the graphics it allows me to chose where to save them, I create a new folder and save them there. The htnl and another file are saved there but all the graphics still are saved to my desktop

What about copy & paste

can it be done?

Re: Going NUTS with Webstyles

I've edited my navbar - but I don't get the option to save it as a new project. Everything seems to get saved to a temp folder - and that seems to be where my web folder is getting its information to creat the navbar. My question is - what do I have to edit in the .js file if I want all my files to remain with my web folder? I'd like my .js files and my graphics stored there so when I move the entire folder to a web server - it all remains together.

Also - when I have had the option to create a new folder - I'm not give a chance to define a path for the folder. Is it acceptable to completely define the path? And then what happens when I move the folder - my path is then broken. It seems that when you move a folder - you break all the links to it!

Hard questions. I admit I've found similar problems understanding Webstyle.

I've found the greatest success in making sure the folder names are right each time I save the work. That is I need to make sure all things are in subfolders of where Webstyle thinks its saving things, and the folder names are correct. Otherwise it doesn't cooperate.
    Last edited by DougW; 29 November 2005 at 08:37 PM.
    ...Doug

Hey guys and girls:

Yes - what a mess this program can be if you don't understand the basics.
    Actually the program is quite intelligent but if you make a mistake when saving you may as well just start from scratch with a new project and project name. You can save a new project anywhere you want but make sure all other future saves go to the same area.

Remember that when you create a new page and say you name it "myhouse" the program creates a folder called "myhouse_files".

I recall when I 1st bought the program I must have created a site 20 times only ti have the nav bars screw up because I was saving them to the wrong folder. I gave up and WebStyle 4 won by pissing me off that I basically threw the program in the garbage until I watched the online tutorial.

The tutorial tells you one very important thing that has made my life easier now that I'm using the program again and here it is: Say you want to create a new site open WS4 and select a webpage style that you want then BEFORE you make ANY changes to that page save it with a name like " index" or "myhouse" and save it to the location on your computer when you want it to go. I tipically save them in my root drice or "c" drive. It is only then and I open my page in FrontPage and edit my nav bars or title bar or what-ever. When I click on the nav bars (as example) in FP WS$ open and then I make my changes and then save it to the same location on my drive.

One thing you may want to be careful of is the Title bar. Usually it's pretty fixed so if you try to make the font bigger the width of the page will screw up and if someone is viewing your site at 800x600 resolution the visitor will have to scroll left and right to see the whole page.
    It's one great program but is frustrating and if you are looking for instant tech support forget it.

It sounds as if you are not selecting the location for the graphics to be saved. This is done from the save as dialog (right hand side)

if you are editing an existing navbar from within DW/FP then you cannot edit the save location, you need to re-insert the navbar

How do I re-insert a NavBar into Dreamweaver
    1. Open the web page in Dreamweaver.
    2. Click on the NavBar and select to delete it.
    3. Select insert\xara webstyle 4\NavBars and menus.
    4. From the NavBar selection page, click upon the saved radio button. select the NavBar you wish to insert from the saved templates files.
    5. Edit the NavBar if necessary then click on save.
    6. Select the appropriate project folder for edited navbar template to be saved to.
    7. Select save Graphic. The location displayed for the files being saved will be the last location that the files were exported to. Click on the graphics folder button and navigate to the location where all your other files associated with the web page are saved.
    8. Ensure the save in folder (the left side of the save screen) is set to the location where your web page is saved.
    9. Click on save to be directed to Dreamweaver.
    10.Save the web page and upload the web page, the xaramenu.js file stored in the same folder as your web page and the folder containing the exported graphics to your web server

In 2003, I used WebStyle and Dreamweaver MX to create a website but had a lot of problems. One problem involved duplicating web pages without creating a new project.

This new year, I decided to revisit this issue to see if I could consolidate all my different projects into one project and one Dreamweaver template. (Actually, forget the template. I would be thrilled if I could have just one WebStyle Project for all my pages.) However, after reading everything in this forum on this subject it seems as if the problem is still not completely resolved.

Is there a best practice that works? This was the closest I've seen but there seems to be a lot of other workarounds, including a possible upgrade. I spent months on this problem and almost everything I encountered appeared again in this forum in the next two years. I'm somewhat unwilling to try again unless there is some reassurance that something works consistently.

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by Ceal; 23 January 2006 at 05:06 PM.