Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Alignment tip

I didn't know that you can leave Alignment (ctrl+shift+l) dialog on screen and still be able to select things in the document. After clicking on the Apply button, the dialog stays, so you can select something else and apply alignment again and again. This is great news for me! I was always selecting things starting the dialog applying closing the dialog again and again ;-)

I didn't know that you can leave Alignment (ctrl+shift+l) dialog on screen and still be able to select things in the document. After clicking on the Apply button, the dialog stays, so you can select something else and apply alignment again and again. This is great news for me! I was always selecting things starting the dialog applying closing the dialog again and again ;-)

Almost all of the Xara X¹ dialogs behave in this manner (i.e. they are non-modal). It's all there to help you work more efficiently, more easily and enjoy it more!

AlexL

Yeah, and I wonder why I was so blind not to notice earlier. I thought that this alignment dialog was pain in the *ahem* to work with but actually it's perfect.

roman

Roman,

I have had the exact same experience as you with the dialogs a few years ago. I guess it is just because we are so used to how OTHER applications handle their dialogs.

Alex L. >> I wonder if this is true for other existing (and potential) users of Xara. Perhaps this persistent dialog "feature" should be a bullet item for Xara on the www.xara.com web page (use a screen capture with a few galleries and dialogs open and an explanation that a layman can understand).

Hm I must have been extremely absent-minded in this case, when I consider for how many years I'm using it. On the other hand, I started to use guidelines and object alignment only lately when I started to work with (and learn from) the artist with propper education in typography. Before that I was just putting thins on the canvas by sight.. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

non-modal dialogs == disadvantage

at least in case of font dialog.
    As Charles told, they can't handle key presses.
    It is irritating to hit small scrollbar button
    on font dialog and dbl-click to apply font.
    Regards, Dmitry.
    Useful utils for Xara: http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by