Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Final Fantasy type graphics - What software is used?

Hi there, I'm curious about something. A friend of mine sent me a clip from the Final Fantasy film, I have to admit i'm not really a fan so i've never given it a thought or a chance before. The graphics, I thought, were amazing. I've never quite seen anything as realistic and beautifully done as that.

I wondered, what type of software is used to create the type of 3D models featured in the film/game ?

Obviously, the people who created the models in the film are brilliant at what they do, but I'd love to try out a software I could make that type of 3d graphics on, even though I'm a beginner. I've only ever had experience on things like PS and adobe illustrator but i'm interested in trying anything new out.

Thanks for reading, and if anyone can suggest any names of certain software I should check out, that'd be great. Thanks again!

Default Re: Final Fantasy type graphics - What software is used?

Hi eert,

Welcome to Talkgraphics. I'm no expert, but this link http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...=Final+Fantasy may shed some light as it contains a link to an interview with the animation director for the movie.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks very much Soquili!

Well, I am not sure from reading the article, just which software solution was used for the actual modeling, they give the rendering goods, but not the modeling tools per say... for most organic, and some inorganic modeling, either one subd capable app and or another, would be the generic answer ...

Subd modeling princibles are the same regardless the app used... one creates the mesh poly by poly, or by box/subd modeling... This said there are some sets of modeling tools which will allow the user more freedom, control, and choices to get the mesh desired, with a good workflow...

Most well known 3D apps have either upgraded their apps with most of the latest tools and techs by now, or are in the process of doing so as we type here, and for the most part there are many third party plugins for most apps, which allow pretty much the same functionality, give a few extras here and there, of which some are usually designed for specifics, and are not a large part of the whole modeling process, while other options, such as edge selection tools and the like are very much a part of the process... for modeling, and beyond...

There are no real secret's to modeling, or what makes a good modeling app... those days are long over... nowadays there are just so many users giving it a go, and so many ideas from there, flooding into the developers websites, no matter the app... the tools are all pretty much the same... each set missing one or two while having one or two other tools or approaches... and not one can really claim the ultimate set for modeling... they will claim whatever, but between you and me there are about six or seven to choose from LOL... seriously, there are quite a few apps which now may get the job done as in any other... user defined UI's and cool tools rock

Grab up an app, create a poly, or pop out a primitive, roll up the sleaves and get involved with the modeling process... rock and roll baby... it's the only way the model gets built

View the wireshots people post, as they will give you the answers to the process involved once you understand the tools and the expected results from such... do a few tuts and you will be modeling in no time at all

there are so many cool worx online to view, and so many cool tools to play with... it's just plain a great time to be learning to model regardless the app...

If you would like to get your feet wet without spending a fortune there is plenty of free stuff out there.

Give Daz studio a spin for starters.
    http://www.daz3d.com/program/studio/1_0index.php

and for the modeling part, a terrific freebie box modeling tool is Wings3D

really, this little, free, but mighty app is as good as it gets for free, and when it comes to box modeling, it allows for pretty much any manip/op to be found in any other app, even the big apps, and Wings3D sports a great modeling workflow when hotkeys are used... for char modeling this be da goods, as Wings3D virtual mirror is second to none...

As suggested earlier, most decent 3D apps have the modeling tools these days, thing is none of them are really any better for box modeling than wings3D, when it comes to chars, and Wings3D is free... really cool
    Last edited by gidgit; 04 November 2005 at 01:11 AM.

Smile Re: Final Fantasy type graphics - What software is used?

maya and softimage was used for final fantasy
    along with a ton of daisy linked linux multi-processor workstations.

There's a neat short--The Last Voyage of the Orion--done by FF's director that comes with The Matrix II DVD. They used the models used in The Matrix, and it's quite an engrossing mini-adventure, sort of a side-story, 11 minutes I think.

My Best,

Gare