Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default FrontPage Shared Borders

I am a new user of Webstyle and old, long-term user of FrontPage. I created a "custom, theme-based, web page" using one of the Xara templates. Part of the template includes drop-down menu's. I like the template and the drop-down menus.

My web site will have many pages. I want the drop-down menus and heading to be identical on each page. I hope I don't have to create each page as a "stand-alone" page. If I do, then any changes I make in the future will have to be made on ALL my pages.

The shared-borders feature within FrontPage is great because it allows me to make one change to the shared border, and then that change will be seen on all the other pages. How can I use the "custom, theme-based" web page that I've created with FrontPage shared borders?

Thanks!

Talking Re: FrontPage Shared Borders

Bob,

I've had the same problem in the past, Frontpage has it's own themes, Xara Webstyle themes are are different kettle of fish.

As to changing pages in the future, its just a case of adding the new script, not really the end of the world.

I'll be keeping an eye out for other replies, but in the mean time , I'm going down the slow road with you.

Jim Toal

Default Re: FrontPage Shared Borders

Jim,

Thanks for the note, but I'm not sure what you mean by "adding the new script" if I want to make changes in the future. As you know, with "shared borders," we only have to make changes on one page (top border, for example) to change the whole site. Is there a similar "script" I can use to do the same thing, without having to use shared borders?

Thanks,

If your server supports ASP you can use server side includes. SSIs are pretty much hand-made FrontPage shared borders. You basically take out the part of the page that you want to stay constant across each page and save it as its own .asp file. Then on each of the pages you add this code:

<!--#INCLUDE FILE="file_name.asp"#-->

The server will pull the HTML from that file and render it as part of the page the user is trying to pull up. You can even have includes inside of includes, such as a navigation menu included in a header. I find this approach to be the easiest way to build my pages as I don't have to spend much time sifting through HTML code to change something.

The only thing you need to do to make sure they work properly is to save each page as a .asp file and make sure your hosting service offers support for asp.
    All Your Graphic Are Belong To Us

I have set work menumake only how you on your site I wul the eager knowledge I with frontpage 2003. how I set
    have it there on Xara Menu Maker 1.0 I no hand leidig