Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default )) Help Please (( Exporting Spot Colors In EPS

I desparately need the ability to have spot colors recognized when exporting .eps files
    I'm willing to pay for this information or feature if it can be done

If I open up an .ai file (exported from xara) in Adobe Illustrator the spot colors show up in the pallet "with" the appropriate names.

If I open up the same file exported as an .eps file the colors will look the same but they will not show up in the pallet with their appropriate names.... It seems they are being converted to process colors on export!?

I have attached a .xar file for two colors (contour & silver) that need to be recognized as spot colors when exporting as ".eps" files.

As of right now I have to export every drawing as an .ai file > import it into adobe illustrator > & export it out as an .eps file in order to use with my sign making equipment.

I have attached a .xar file with 2 of the most used spot colors if anyone can get this to work it would be greatly APPRECIATED or I would be willing to pay someone that could offer this as a plugin or something.

I have a large format Summa DC3 Printer that Prints & cuts and needs to recognize spot colors in "eps" files.

Thanks In Advance!
    Ron
    Attached Files Attached Files

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

Default Re: )) Help Please (( Exporting Spot Colors In EPS

You need to use Xara X1. Came as a shock to many Upgraders, they removed the CMYK & spot features in Xtreme.

I'm back to using X1. Who would have guessed that Xara would move backwards with working features in the new release..... Oh well.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

You can make Xtreme fake it, tell it to make it a Spot Color and actually name the color the spot color name, it will open saved as an .eps file and show the spot color names. BUT WHEN TESTED IN COREL DRAW IT REPEATEDLY CRASHED MY SYSTEM. IT ALSO CRASHED ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR 10. Not recommended. Even though it may look on screen to be what you think it should be, you don't want to crash your equipment. I am deleting the file, I won't try to open it again.

If you are using Xtreme, and you need spot color, use X1, because all the special effects in Xtreme cannot be exported to a sign cutter anyway.

You should find many of these answers in The Xara Xone Workbook 23 which covers Pantone Color Matching System and PostScript and Encapsulated PostScript.

Gary

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

You need to use Xara X1. Came as a shock to many Upgraders, they removed the CMYK & spot features in Xtreme.
    Yes, unfortunately. I'm back to X1 as well, because I need this feature. I think it wouldn't hurt to include it in the final xtreme - shouldn't be more than a code switch to bring this feature back...
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Jens - I wonder if you could copy the Pantone palettes from X1 and paste them into Xtreme? I would imagine that this would not be legal though if you could do it.

Ron - There is always another solution.

When the printer creates film for printing, the film has no idea what color it is. You could export your image as black and then add the Pantone number to the document to let the printer know what spot color to print.

Gary

I send these eps files to Summa Color Control Software which operates a
    large format resin printer which a has spot color ribbons which I need the software
    to recognize in the original eps files.

Ron

I answered your Private Message but for the benefit of the users I'll post my findings here.

If you are working with simple shapes, and text, then use the AI export. (Convert your text to editable shapes (Arrange menu).

If the file is going to be opened and edited in Illustrator, then use the AI option. If the file is going to be output to a PostScript printing device or output device such as an imagesetter for film, and if the image is going to be output from a publishinig applicatioin such as QuarkXPress or Adobe InDesign, then use the Illustrator EPS file option.

I tried several different EPS approachs from Xara and none came into Illustrator as spot colors.

Gary

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Gary,

I don't use spot colors at all, only 4c/full color or cmyk. I want to be able to print one *.eps file for each printing plate, that's all. It allows better control on my end, so the printer won't be able to mess it up. Simple like that.

--------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--