Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Sketchy architectural rendering of 3dmodel...

Ross,
    Looks like an actual architechtural drawing and the paper effect is really great.
    ron

I like the hint of the interior structure construction lines that gives it more than a computer generated architectural rendering.

The textureing on the paper is realistic and very upscale in overall packaging.

Bravo.

Ross
    The effect is superb. I would be interested in knowing how you achieved that effect and look in Xara.
    Sketch Up is on my wish list.
    Regards
    David Scott
    NEWKITCHENDESIGN

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I'm going to have to work onthe technique somemore. I've now done a series of them and found it harder to be consistant thanI had expected.

I attach the panels I assembled. They were plotted our A1 size. I'll see the results tomorrow when I have to present this preliminary design to a client committee.

Regards, Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panel.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	21449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panel2.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	21450  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panel3.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	21451  

I like it Ross...

Ross,

Considering that most architects out-source this type of work (don't they?), and seeing what you are able to accomplish using SketchUp and Xara - you've got to make an illustrator somewhere, shed a tear or two!

I think it looks great.

Not as much stuff is out-sourced as you might think. Most offices have at least one person who really enjoys presentation work -- the volunteer almost always gets the work! If a firm is really busy, or if the client seeks a particular style, then the work may be outsourced to a professional illustrator. In my case I'm working largely on my own and designing right in SketchUp. Visualizations like these only added about one days work to my workload. In reality using SketchUp/Xara in my work flow actually saves me considerable time. In the 'old days' I would have had to develop the project to the point I could draw the building 'elevations' and then I'd either set up one constructed perspective or used a perspective grid to draw one. Drawing one detailed hand drawn, presentation quality perspective could easily take 20 hours. Given time constraints if we did one decent perspective we thought we were doing well. (As often as not no perspectives would be done on smaller modest fee projects). The clients had to make their decisions and give input on rather limited 3d information.

In contrast, with my current work flow I design both the interior & exterior in SketchUp. Things like elevations are generated directly from the model. At the same time multiple perspective views (or animations) can be exported directly from the model. These really facilitate a much higher level of dialogue with clients and coworkers. So it is adding a day to turn such output into a higher form of presentation isn't much in the grand scheme of things. The client will get to see far more info than traditional methods would have allowed. Seeing more means the client has a greater chance of really understanding what is being proposed. The whole process can be accelerated.

You can see from my context SketchUp at around $500 USD is really a bargain.

Regards, Ross

You produced a first class piece of work there Ross. Very nice indeed.

Cool Re: Sketchy architectural rendering of 3dmodel...

Great stuff Ross! But where's all the graphite smudges? Your work must be quite popular within the architectural community of that 'big city', Charlottetown!

PS: My brother's niece {by marriage} is in Architecture at Laval U. would you mind if I put her in touch with you? She's looking for information on techniques,software, etc. And I can think of no better expert than yourself.
    ------ O
    ----- /-
    ---- ( )\\_
    The WheelBrat ~ Faisg air an Aird-a-Tuath, Canada

Thanks Gray & Wheelbrat!

Hey Wheelbrat -- Its been a while since we've heard from you. I hope you've just been busy with training for the paralympics!

I attach another digital rendering that does include some graphite smudges. Filters were used in producing it. The smudges are just a fractal transparency. When I used to do graphite renderings, it was common to mask out a working area with tape so the drawing would have a clean look. I was trying to give the rendering the look that the tape had just been removed. Again the actual scene is a SketchUp model.

I haven't actually done much work in PEI since moving here a couple years ago. Most of my work is still in Nova Scotia. The rendering I attach is for a project in Scotland that involved in producing marketing graphics.

Wheelbrat, if your niece wants to contact me she'd be most welcome.

Regards, Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graphite-example2.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	22905