Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What "is" this effect?

Hi Everyone,

I have in mind a text effect... but I knoe so little about the terminology that would describe the effect that I've attached a close 'nuff example to this.

Can someone show me how to create something close to the image? What I am trying to do is throw a wall-type shadow from my text, but the shadow ought to look more like the one in the example.
    In my vision, the wall shadow would have a darker line-colour and a pale fill-colour (almost white). I wish I could describe this better... would probably discover the answer if I could.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Paul Bruneau; 15 October 2005 at 05:02 PM.

Default Re: What "is" this effect?

that could be created a number of ways but the general Idea would be to apply (or create) an envelope to the text. You can use a pre-defined one or create your own then apply it. This is my try

Jim
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Scotty; 15 October 2005 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks Scotty,

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking at "Moulds" now... and envelopes and perspectives... but I don't know how to procede?

Its not so much the shape of the text that I want to apply, but that "sort" of shadow behind the text.

Could you elaborate, please?

Paul

the mould tool is on lower left looks like a rectangle thingy
    Jim

I know the Mold tool.... just NOT how to apply it to create that strange background.shadow effect.

Paul

After creating your envelope.. select text and apply the shadow...adjusting accordingly to the way you desire.
    The text fill and ouline can also be change to you liking.
    Jim

Thanks Scotty,

I'll run with that and see if I can swing it.

Paul

Hey Paul,

the best advice I can give you on this on is open the help pull down, then call the movie page, then watch the movie on Shadows... The "babe" does a great job explining exactly how to use the shadow tool...

Use the Mould tool and drag text to approximate shape you require. (Use the default envelope (first in the line on the mould toolbar) and drag the middle of the bounding box up using the shape editor tool, you'll soon see how it does it as you try).
    Clone moulded text (this will be your shadow) and apply your fill and outline colour/line width, put to back and nudge into position.
    You could then further fine tune by selecting all and converting to editable shapes and ungrouping. This would allow you to adjust the vertical position of each letter in the group and the relative position of the shadow behind each letter.
    (You need to get your font right before converting to editable shapes as once you have done that they are no longer fonts and can't be changed without starting again).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	21232  
    Last edited by masque; 16 October 2005 at 10:23 AM.