Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Line Width" box locked?

In XaraX1 the "Line width" drop down box will not drop open at times.
    Anyone know the fix for this apart from closing down and reopening Xara.?
    Thanks!

Default Re: "Line Width" box locked?

Hi Kiwi,

A whle back I discovered a quick fix - you can see it on the second page of
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=598

Basically you CTRL-ALT Left click on the line width drop down menu which effectively jiggles the item on the toolbar to bring it to the fore again.

Hope that helps!
    Graeme

Default Re: "Line Width" (& Feather) box locked?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi
    In XaraX1 the "Line width" drop down box will not drop open at times.
    It's happened to me (twice so far) but...

...with the Feather slider. I click on the drop-down button and... nothing appears.

Thank's Graeme,
    Will try your suggestion when/if it happens again?

Hi Kiwi,

I've asked around at Xara and we think this problem is fixed in Xara Xtreme as a byproduct of using the new Windows XP look and feel (because that means Xtreme uses a new dropdown control).

If you get the trial version of Xtreme you should be able to test this for yourself.

Hope that helps.

Phil

Exclamation Re: "Line Width" box locked?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM
    I've asked around at Xara and we think this problem is fixed in Xara Xtreme
    Nope.

I've just lost the Feather slider again in the latest Xtreme (v4314).

Interestingly, now that I've lost it, when I now click on the drop-down button, I can see that my CPU usage shoots to 100% and stays there for about 3 seconds before dropping back again. Meanwhile, the object that I'm feathering 'flickers' slightly.

[later]

Ah! The 'flicker' is while the object tries to redraw -- much, much slower than it normally does -- and when it stops flickering, the slider appears.
    Last edited by brianlj; 13 October 2005 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks for the feedback Brian,

The feather control is a very different animal than the line width control so your problem might not mean that the line width control still gets "locked". (I've tried the minimise/close/restart sequence and I can't reproduce the linewidth "lockup" in Xtreme - but I realise there may be other factors that mean other people can reproduce it when I can't.)

FYI: Possibly related to the slow response of the feather control and your flickering: With the new XP look and feel, some Windows controls are much slower to update than they used to be. We have worked around this wherever we can but there may still be some places where the delay shows up.

(I can't reproduce the behaviour you describe with the feather control, either...)

Phil
    Last edited by PhilM; 13 October 2005 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM
    With the new XP look and feel, some Windows controls are much slower to update than they used to be. We have worked around this wherever we can but there may still be some places where the delay shows up.
    It's sometimes slow enough (or maybe a function of my video card -- GeForce3Ti200) that I can capture things like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LineWidth.gif 
Views:	254 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	21158  

I do not know about the line width box but have a duplicatable problem for the feather slider...

draw 2 lines, make a 500 step blend then, feather it... Watch xtreme got out to lunch.

Last edited by John Rayner; 14 October 2005 at 02:36 AM.

John,

Works fine here... Both when typing in the exact feather width manually and when using the slider. I guess something like this is quite processor intensive?

But in general, I don't think this is even a concern for people that run old machines - the need for feathering 500 step blends doesn't really come up that often when drawing.

The Line Width Drop Down error seems to be fixed in Extreme - I can't reproduce it in this release. Charles aknowledged the problem in the old X1 thread, so I guess he had it fixed.