Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Docking Windows, Toolbars and Save Settings Oh My!

I'm finding the Toolbars and Docking Windows a problem in Xtreme.

I've docked several Galleries I use frequently and turned on a few toolbars as well. When I exit Xara and open it back up again, the Toolbars are all over the top of the window and the Docked Galleries on the left increase in width, taking up my design space. Has anyone else played with Xtreme and noticed this?

Thanks,
    Red

Smile Re: Docking Windows, Toolbars and Save Settings Oh My!

See my post of a few days ago, can't lock down a template layout no matter what you do.
    I have a personal layout that I always run in all the previous versions that go back a long way and they were never any trouble, hope it gets fixed on the CD release.

Default Re: Docking Windows, Toolbars and Save Settings Oh My!

The moving toolbars have been mentioned once or twice. Saving a template from an older version to xtreme works fine... Proved that within 2 minutes of installing.

One of the guys here found that if you have any more builtin toolbars than the default nested at the top, you get the toolbar shuffle. They had moved the buttons from the extra toolbar and moved them to a self created on and they stuck just fine. Jens uses toolbars along the right hand side and has not had any trouble at all.

I nest mine at the top and been doing the shuffle for quite some time. I sure hope they get this fixed before pressing time myself.

" can't lock down a template layout no matter what you do." - jeffb

Jeffb... I have no idea what locking down a template is, could you please elaborate?

Just a phase really, just saving to template, have tried your tip of loading the old template file from Xara X but does not put the layout that I use onto the screen.
    Just wait for the CD and hope, as I had a problem years ago with it not spanning two monitors, and on the next patch or upgrade it was fixed with no mention anywhere about it, so you never know,

Docked galleries and shifting toolbars are a real pain. Its the feather toolbar that seems to jump about with me but I've just added it to the one long toolbar I make across the top of the screen above the context sensitive bar, so its fine like that. I just don't dock galleries until the problem with them rembering their size is sorted.

It is my hope that they will soon give us the ability to disable Tool Bar docking.
    Not something I would use and right now it is really intrusive on the way I want to interface with Xtreme.
    sunland

Surely you can disable it by just not doing it, which is what I'm doing until I can be sure they stay as I want them.
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by masque
    Surely you can disable it by just not doing it...
    Not exactly. You can try to not use it, but you have to pay attention each time you nudge a palette out of the way. Otherwise, pow!

Yes amoore, that is the perfect discription. I have had Layers and Lines docked and then moving the Fill Gallery out of the way so I could see more of the drawing and "pow" as you say. The help file says to hold down the Control key while you move the Gallery or Toolbar and it will not dock, but I do not want to have to do this extra key press. Please put an option in the Options to disable docking.

Yea, I have to agree the ability to dock is something I wanted but it does not stay put when you draw them smaller and then restart the program. Or if you have a crash it's usually back to default settings. Also if we have the ability to dock these galleries then I want the ability to dock the Color Editor as well. I use this more than the other dialog or gallery in Xara and the Color Gallery is just not the same. Also an added button to the Color Editor that would give you the ability to apply that chosen color to the background.

I also would suggest a way to make the galleries, once docked slide out of the way on tabs. So if you click on a labeled tab the needed gallery would pop out and would stay put until you click on a little button to have it slide back out of the way. This way the Galleries are easily assessable. I love this feature in Adobe's Photoshop. They are there but out of the way, organized and easily assessable!

As for the ability, or not, to create new toolbars, having toolbars move around or the ability to overwrite default templates with your own I have not had any issue with any of this.
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---