Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Will it be GTK2+ / Gnome?

Quote Originally Posted by hpv
    I hope not. The GTK2.6 file dialogs are HORRIBLE. If XaraLX uses them it will alienate a lot of users.
    It doesn't have to use GTK2.6 native file dialogs, but I think it's likely, would give it a more consistent look when compared to the rest of gtk apps.
    What's so bad about those dialogs anyway? The only thing I miss in there is the actual path, but they're nice (although I use gtk+2.8, can't remember whether it's any different from gtk+2.6 ones).
    Use of gtk doesn't mean it has to be dependent on gnome libs.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Slapo
    The only thing I miss in there is the actual path,
    The current path is right there on the top of the dialog as a series of buttons. You cen get an editable version with Ctrl+L, also don't forget that the file list has type-ahead search.
    IP

The GTK2.6 file dialogs are HORRIBLE. If XaraLX uses them it will alienate a lot of users.
    That's only your opinion, I find them wonderful as do many other GNOME users.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Artis
    The current path is right there on the top of the dialog as a series of buttons. You cen get an editable version with Ctrl+L, also don't forget that the file list has type-ahead search.
    That's it. Thanks
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Artis
    That's only your opinion, I find them wonderful as do many other GNOME users.
    Which acconts for what? Maybe 10% of Linux users and 0% of users who might at some point migrate to Linux?

Switching to gtk2 dialogs is mistake far too many other applications have made and it's an unnecessary barrier to adaption even among users currently using Linux. Xara would be making a huge mistake to adopt it, which they seem to be doing.
    IP

You can see what file dialogs it uses, by downloading and trying. Select the Open button or menu. We go via WxWidgets which I would presume uses whatever is the OS standard file dialogs for the appropriate platform. To my untrained eyes it looks as if it uses standard Gnome file dialogs on Gnome and standard KDE ones on KDE (and of course Windows and Mac ones on those platforms).
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir
    You can see what file dialogs it uses, by downloading and trying. Select the Open button or menu. We go via WxWidgets which I would presume uses whatever is the OS standard file dialogs for the appropriate platform. To my untrained eyes it looks as if it uses standard Gnome file dialogs on Gnome and standard KDE ones on KDE (and of course Windows and Mac ones on those platforms).
    It's gnome dialogs in KDE.
    IP

It's gnome dialogs in KDE.
    It's GNOME (or more accurately GTK) dialogs when compiling against wxWidgets WXGTK, MSW dialogs when compiling against wxWidgets WXMSW, Mac dialogs when compiling against wxWidgets WXMAC. You get the idea. If there was a WXQT (which there isn't, due to QT licensing problems) and we compiled against that, you'd get a KDE (or more accurately QT) file-open dialog. If you run the GTK app under KDE, the dialogs look like any other GTK app does running under KDE.

I'm sure the wxWidgets folks would be interested in patches to improve KDE friendliness provided there are no licensing issue involved.

Alex
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by abligh
    If there was a WXQT (which there isn't, due to QT licensing problems)
    Which licensing problems are those? Is wxWidgets LGPL or something? That still wouldn't stop them from releasing a WXQT under GPL. gnome file dialogs are a huge turn off for any app though, and the whole gnome philosophy is kind of hurting the Linux desktop across the board. And I really hate to see more applications, especially ones with graphics apps that are almost universally gtk on Linux.
    Last edited by hpv; 24 March 2006 at 09:21 PM.
    IP

Which licensing problems are those? Is wxWidgets LGPL or something?
    wxWindows license version 3. LGPL with 3 exceptions, mainly for allowing binaries to be distributed without the demand to provide wx with it if it's unchanged, iirc. The other exceptions are backing that up. The license can be consulted directly.
    One thing that this means is that we can't put LGPL code in - it would violate their license due to wxWidgets having that exception.

That still wouldn't stop them from releasing a WXQT under GPL.
    No, it wouldn't. Lack of manpower does. The license concerns can be alleviated through using a different source repository, or strict separation in directories.

gnome file dialogs are a huge turn off for any app though, and the whole gnome philosophy is kind of hurting the Linux desktop across the board. And I really hate to see more applications, especially ones with graphics apps that are almost universally gtk on Linux.
    That is a matter of opinion. For example I believe the same negative things to be true for KDE, and completely wrong for GNOME and GTK+. This is not the place to express such opinions.
    The file dialog concerns are nonsense. They are fixed in GTK+-2.10, and the new dialog was introduced in 2.4. You really don't want to see what it was looking like pre-2.4. That's why wxGTK uses its own generic file dialog if gtk runtime version is not 2.4 or newer - it's considered so much more worse. GTK+-2.8 has it nice, 2.10 will have the location entry in the dialog, not behind a popup box, and will save settings, and not block on networked bookmarks, and other nice things.
    IP