Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We have had this problem since the days of corel xara. to print on a designjet 1050c dont use wysiwyg. Xara needs a proper print preview like every other graphics program. I attached an image of the correct view to print, it looks wrong but it works. I was hoping that this would be addressed in a new version. We have 11 licenses of Xara and everbody here finds printing a trial and error exercise. Oh well, have to wait for the next version...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-1.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	1675  

We have had this problem since the days of corel xara. to print on a designjet 1050c dont use wysiwyg. Xara needs a proper print preview like every other graphics program. I attached an image of the correct view to print, it looks wrong but it works. I was hoping that this would be addressed in a new version. We have 11 licenses of Xara and everbody here finds printing a trial and error exercise. Oh well, have to wait for the next version...

I too experienced this problem with epson and Hp 120 printers.
    It appears with paper sizes A2 and larger.

Luciano

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

NickC and Luciano,

I can not see the problem, except the page orientation being wrong. Check the page orientation setting in the print setup. See circle area below...

Name:	1upload.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	3678  
    John/DOT

Dear John,
    that's what should happen, but it doesn't work.

On screen remains the same border whichever orientation is selected.

I have no problem with a4 or a3 sizes (european letter and double letter sizes), but larger sizes (a2- a1) cause this trouble.

thank you for your reply
    Luciano

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Hi Luciano,

For years I had the same problem, then it finally dawned on me that you can have orientation set one way in The print options, and orientation set the opposite way in the print setup.

I had mistakenly saved my main template this way and suffered for years everytime I went to print out. See below...

Name:	1upload.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	10647  
    John/DOT

Hi Nick,
    Are you using the "Automatic Fit" option? I wouldn't even try printing to a designjet with XaraX until X1 came out with this option. Now I don't have any problem printing to our DesignJet 5500 or our old DesignJet 750.

I would also LOVE to have a print preview (Charles ... are you listening?!!!) ... but this work-around is working for me.

BTW ... the "Automatic Fit" option doesn't change the size of your image like the "Best Fit" does.

-Ed.

Hi

Thanks for all your comments.

However, for us the automatic fit prints wrong. It looks right in X1 but outputs the wrong way up on the printer. I tried every combination of portrait/landscape but the only view that works is the one I first posted.

The fact is that this shouldn’t be such a confusing task, I can tell you that when there’s a tight deadline people here have really lost their temper over this.

We'll persevere with it as it is but its a little disappointing that the new release doesn’t resolve this, especially after such a long "development time".

NickC

The upright/sideways option in the Print Layout options should always affect the display of the print borders. If it doesn't then there must be something very strange going on.

I've downloaded a driver for the 1050c from HPs web site and tested this aspect and it seems to work correctly. I've also tested several other printer drivers with a range of paper sizes and havn't seen this effect at all.

Can you tell me which paper sizes and page orientation you have selected in the printer driver. It sounds like if you select a small paper size then the print borders draw as expected but if you use a large paper size then they don't. Is this correct?

Have you tried downloading the latest driver from www.hp.com?

Gerry Iles

Hi Gerry,
    I'm not sure how you tested the printer driver from a designjet without having the printer ... but you are correct about the print borders not displaying correctly. Generally, I select "custom" page size (I printed 4 - 36" x 72" banners this afternoon) ... and without the auto-fit option it just isn't possible to pre-determine what (if anything) is going to come out of the printer.

I understand Nick's frustration, because until you have spooled 10feet of expensive 36" wide coated paper onto the floor destined for the trash can ... you just CAN'T understand how irritating it can be ... especially since it took 15-20min for the print job to spool and finish through the local area network.

CorelDRAW, Canvas, and Illustrator all handle these big printers flawlessly ... and so can Xara if they put their minds to it. Like I said earlier in this thread ... I had given up on large format printing until X1 came along with the automatic fit option ... but I would still like the security of seeing a print preview that actually SHOWS what is going to come off of that big monster before I feed it.

My three cents.

-Ed.