Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I paid for the Boxed version of Webstyle 4 and installed it and updated it. My hard drive crashed and I installed Webstyle 4 on my new hard drive and updated it. But now some of the templates I had before have a $ next to them. Xara tech support said it would update automatically..it didn't. I even went so far as to purchase the template pack 1 (which was included in the paid version) and it still doesn't update the current version...What's Up...I'm getting kind of frustrated...and yes...I've unistalled it and reinstalled it already, with no change. Any help would be appreciated...Thanks Scott

Hi Scott:

Sounds like your having the time of your life with this frustrating software.
    I think I may have the solution to your problem.
    Try the re-install but this time make sure you have disabled and antivirus or firewalls you have running before the install.
    If your new at this program I also recommend NOt using the templates, they can cause you a lot of headaches.

Good Luck

start webstyle and click on the top left corner select don’t connect automatically next

click on update webstyle and enter the member name and password of your account from which the product was purchased prior to continuing

Having done so all templates you are entitled to should be downloaded.

...Personally, I think it sucks to pay roughly $90 and then have to turn around and buy all kinds of art and templates on top of having a really buggy (very cool) but buggy program, Xara needs a reality check or something...

I couldn't have said it better myself!!

24 hours ago I sent Xara the following note, they didn't reply. I may not say it better, but perhaps I'll get nominated for a windbag award. I've got my suit and my sunglasses. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/cool.gif

I have worked with the WS4 trial software, and I am happy with the product, with two exceptions. The menumaker is not as good as other menumakers out there, and from what I have seen on the talkgraphics site, many of the themes don't work. Also, you are running what appears to be a version of the bait and switch scam. You tell/bait people by stating in print that they will get all the themes with the webstyle product, then within a week you inform them that they can pay 19.95 extra for more templates.

Here is what is in your, FAQ email, which I just received.

Can I download Webstyle and the templates as soon as I purchase?

Yes. Whether you order the CD or retail box version, you will be able to immediately unlock the Webstyle trial and download all of the templates.

------ So are you going to supply all of the templates as documented in your email? After all, half of the original ones that come with the package don't work anyway. You have many dissatisfied customers, because they find the templates don't work and they get shafted by this bate and switch tactic which they find disgusting. They complain about this on the Talkgraphics site.

---------- You should and will you provide all WS4 customers with all the templates?

See my review of your WS4 product here.

http://talkgraphics.com/groupee/foru...86&m=888105875

There are only a handful of problems a day on that site, and you don't have anyone from your company looking at it. This is also a big concern among your customers.

I am living in Canada, but I would be interested in being paid to review your products from a customer perspective and respond on the message board on behalf of Xara. You really need someone doing that, as your reputation, is being damaged and sales lost by your website having a link a message forum where your customers are crucifying you and thereby losing sales. I can fix this for you. Read through my posts on your message board as a reference, "FP-User". I will send my resume on request. If you continue to ignore your customers you are hurting your sales.

Here are the jobs I can take on WS4 and the associated subproducts.

Provide general support and public relations through the forum, and specific support for Windows and Frontpage.

Assess what your customers really need fixed through your forum and provide that feedback to you.

Update the windows help files, to better cover the problems people are experiencing.

Create new demos of the product to show people how to make the Websites they are creating on their PC’s Xara ready, and how to create a project and store their graphics on the first use of the product. I think most new MM and WS4 users are having problems with all kinds of web elements and report "my graphics work on my PC but not when I upload". You have been using the product so long, and you just do everything right in a logical way. A lot of your WS4 customers are novices at web design and PC use, and they just don’t have coherent web development concepts. They make things hard for themselves by in particular not putting their web elements within their websites on their own PC.

I would really like to help you get to the next level of success. You need great support to go along with your great product, in order to drive the sales skyward, and keep the product on the leading edge. You can’t do everything yourself if I may be so bold, you don’t enjoy support.

The way things stand, if demand for your product went up by 100 times, you would be swamped with customer complaints on the issues I've gone over so far. I'd love to see the product be a little easier to use in terms of saving the menubars and graphics for upload to hosts. A huge number of problems are coming up in that area. That and the template issues are critical weak points in your armour.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif I'll keep you posted http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Scott, did my posting assist you?

http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/cool.gif Update http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/cool.gif

Xara has removed the FAQ shown above from their website, but I have not response as of yet.

sorry fp-user, which faq is that?

Here is what is in your, FAQ email, which I just received.

Can I download Webstyle and the templates as soon as I purchase?

Yes. Whether you order the CD or retail box version, you will be able to immediately unlock the Webstyle trial and download all of the templates.

Here is some info on what is supposed to happen reagarding the templates that are viewed in the demo version.

" New Users: In my opinion everything you see in the demo with $$ attached to it is included with the product when you pay. Nothing from the additional template pack appears in the demo in any way. Can someone who knows if I'm correct for sure about the items with $$ on them please respond."

Now this is something we are indeed reconsidering. The answer is actually yes and no. The standard trial shows only the templates that you get when you purchase Webstyle 4, all with a $ beside them. Most users will never see any others and that's why some people are genuinely puzzled about this issue. However, if you hit the Update Webstyle button while you still have the trial, it will detect that there are some templates available that are not showing in your version, and it will download the previews with a NEW$ next to them.