Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default CorelDraw PDF's not the same size. Why?

I'm creating ad graphics in CorelDRAW12 at 3.75"x3.75" and saving them. When I reaload them in CorelDRAW they are still at that size, but when I export them to PDF (prepress) and print them out, they are coming out at exactly 3.5". This is screwy. I suppose I could figure out the percentage I need to save them as to get them to come out the right size, but that's a chewing gum and duct tape solution. I must be doing something wrong. What is it?

Any thoughts appreciated.
    IP

Default Re: CorelDraw PDF's not the same size. Why?

You did not mention if you have made your page size 3.75 x 3.75 or only your graphics that size.

There are a lot of variables with making a .pdf, reducing size is not one of them.

In what manner are you making the .pdf, you have several pages of settings, if you tell me what settings you are using, then it can be fixed. There are too many guesses here.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sallybode
    You did not mention if you have made your page size 3.75 x 3.75 or only your graphics that size.

There are a lot of variables with making a .pdf, reducing size is not one of them.

In what manner are you making the .pdf, you have several pages of settings, if you tell me what settings you are using, then it can be fixed. There are too many guesses here.
    Are you referring to CorelDRAW settings when I save the file or Acrobat settings when I print it or to printer settings?
    IP

Obviously if your settings for the way you make the .pdfs are correct (and really I have only made 1-1 pdfs), and since you can adjust your printer output towards scaling, your printer settings may be where the problem is.

Does your printer scale anything else in CorelDRAW?
    IP

I don't think so, but I'll print out one of the files that's being reduced as a CorelDRAW file and get back to you with whether it's scaled or not.
    IP

Sometimes when I have typed in the page size in CorelDRAW I was doing two things at the same time. DRAW natively used inches in 10ths, but will take standard notation. For example: if your width was 3 3/4", you could type it in the Property bar just like that, and DRAW automatically changes that to 3.75". This works when specifying the measurement anywhere in DRAW you need to specify.

If you have resized your graphic and need the heighth and width to be independent of each other, then unlock the lock icon to the right of the x and y measurement spin buttons.

It is likely that there is some error here, or you have misread your ruler if you sized it from drawing guides.

Best to specify in the Property Bar for your sizes.

I have made all these mistakes when I am hurrying. I pays to measure twice so that the output is what you intended on when your were talking on the phone, answering your cell phone, checking your pager, checking if the scanner is warmed up. Attention is divided and things suffer for it.

Good luck.
    IP