Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi Gary,,

I posted a question in a previous post and it seems that it is finished, so I am re-posting it.

You had mentioned that you used NetObjects Fusion MX. I would appreciate your opinion on it' useability. Has it crashed or given you any problems?? Here is why I am asking........

I have a pretty crapy web site building program called ixla's EasyWeb Millennium. For all their touts of how great it is, it crashes on me all the time. Too bad, the idea is just wonderful and the interface is quite intuitive. I have to constantly save and if I forget to, I'll be working away and then it freezes up, then BAM!! just shuts down, taking all my hard work with it without a backed up saved file. It really sucks in that way!!

So....I am in the market for something that runs much more stable and is a drag and drop kind of web page builder. HTML retarded, you might say!!

I went out to the web site and bookmarked the NetObjects website, but I wanted your opinion of how it performs for you first.

Any gliches and whatnot??

Buy it, Don't buy it??

Mucho Appreciated!

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

PS: If anyone else is using this program, feel free to express your opinions as well, PLEASE!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Gary,,

I posted a question in a previous post and it seems that it is finished, so I am re-posting it.

You had mentioned that you used NetObjects Fusion MX. I would appreciate your opinion on it' useability. Has it crashed or given you any problems?? Here is why I am asking........

I have a pretty crapy web site building program called ixla's EasyWeb Millennium. For all their touts of how great it is, it crashes on me all the time. Too bad, the idea is just wonderful and the interface is quite intuitive. I have to constantly save and if I forget to, I'll be working away and then it freezes up, then BAM!! just shuts down, taking all my hard work with it without a backed up saved file. It really sucks in that way!!

So....I am in the market for something that runs much more stable and is a drag and drop kind of web page builder. HTML retarded, you might say!!

I went out to the web site and bookmarked the NetObjects website, but I wanted your opinion of how it performs for you first.

Any gliches and whatnot??

Buy it, Don't buy it??

Mucho Appreciated!

PS: If anyone else is using this program, feel free to express your opinions as well, PLEASE!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I'm not Gary but I have started using this programme. I'm a total newbie when it comes to building a website but am managing to find my way around NetfusionMX okay (and as for HMTL...I don't know a thing!)..so what I am saying if I can use it - anyone can!

It has never crashed with me. I can't give you an experts opinion (as Gary will be able to do) as I have never used anything else and as I said, this is all totally new so I can't offer any advice to any restrictions etc.

I found the undernoted on one of the news groups - to download the trial version

http://ftp.netobjects.com/pub/win/nfmx/NOFMXTrial.exe

Be advised that the DL is 52.3 meg

Here are all the Zipped MX user docs (manual etc) in PDF format
    http://ftp.netobjects.com/pub/win/nfmx/NOFMXDOCS.zip

And this is a good site to visit:-

http://www.gotfusion.com/default.html

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Mags

Hi RAMWolff

I'm not Gary either but I've been using NetObjects for several years now. We were looking hard for something which would serve our purpose and import external HTML without messing it up. We tried just about all the budget programs at the time but nothing came to our notice as worth while so we extended our trial to the more expensive programs. Then we found a copy of Netobjects 2 distributed on a magazine CD and tried it. We were impressed and having tried out the tutorial, we went for it, particularly as we could purchase it at the upgrade price (at that time 99GBP - about $150 - it's now $99 for first time buyers I think).

I find it a very useable program and although it has crashed on me it is one of the most stable programs I've ever come across. If it does crash or you have to crash out of it because Windows freezes, it will endeavour to repair your file next time you load it. So far it has always succeeded and I've been able to continue working with the file. It will also automatically save several backup files for you (you define the number of backups).

You've seen the sort of thing that Gary creates so you have some idea of what is possible. It could certainly be worth setting aside a couple of hours and downloading the trial version. As mags says, 53Mb is a very big download but it's still far less than the version 5 download (85.3Mb - took several goes and came down in something like 3.5 hrs).

If you do download the trial, may I suggest you install something like Getright or similar program which allows you to continue if the connection get dropped during your download. Be a right pain to get almost to the end and have that happen!

I would heartily recommend Netobjects so give it a try. Its not a dummy program and it has a lot of very good features. Let the forum know how you get on.

Tracey

I've been using Fusion for years ever since Daniel Will Harris hired me to write articles for efuse.com

I like it because it is very intuitive and well laid out.

NetObjects went bankrupt last year and there was a lot of concern that Fusion was a gonner. But WebSite Pros bought the application and has hired many of NetObjects' key people so it looks as though Fusion will be around for some time.

I use it for everything I do and I highly recommend it.

Is it perfect? Is any application? :-)

If you buy it, be sure to download the latest patches.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Guess I will be doing that trial download. Is the trial good for actually working for like 15/30 days?? Or what is the deal??

As I just finished with Xmas and my birthday, I have WAY overspent myself (ho..hum...what else is new) and don't have the $$ to outright buy it. Maybe in a month.

So anyway........thanks again, Mags, Traceyp and Gary for your input. I know that Gary is really busy working on his various jobs, as we know from the two polls he ran here, so I really appreciate the time out to answer my question(s). Mags and Traceyp, your summories of what it does and what you experienced using the program was the clincher.

Thanks again

Gotta get my GetRight going on that download [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

i don't know about the trial version as i got the full version (for free!) from my host.

have had a look around but can't find any info. have posted a message on the newsgroup and if someone comes back with an answer i'll let you know.

have fun!

mags

(i will repeat - if i can work with this programme, anyone can!)

NetObjects has been running a special on Fusion MX and you might be able to find a copy of one of the older versions. Version 4 is very solid and the version I used until recently. Version 5 is ca ca and not worth the price even if someone is giving it away.

You should also know CoolMaps.com a site that has a wide variety of plug-in modules to use in Fusion. The image swap effect on my home page where the images appear when you mouse over the buttons in CoolMaps' Rollover module.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

"The trial is 30-days in length and limited in the fact that when you publish
    a watermark will be put on each page published - this is stipped out when
    you export your trial site to a template and then move it to a full licensed
    version.

I hope this helps.

Regards,"

Sorry it's off topic, but I've been meaning to ask for a long time:

Where in Scotland? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>