Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: editing brushes

I've been playing with brushes and figuring out how to change them. There are some brushes created which do not allow you to change the line color of the brush. When I go to edit and select "all line colors" in the fill properties, I am then able to click a line color and change it. However, when I go to save this change as a new brush, the new edited brush doesn't let me change the line colors either. It seems that the only way is to leave the edit box open with the "all line colors" selected while changing your line colors. An example would be the grise brush. I wonder if there's another way to be able to truly edit the brushes and save them with the edits. Thanks.

I've been playing with brushes and figuring out how to change them. There are some brushes created which do not allow you to change the line color of the brush. When I go to edit and select "all line colors" in the fill properties, I am then able to click a line color and change it. However, when I go to save this change as a new brush, the new edited brush doesn't let me change the line colors either. It seems that the only way is to leave the edit box open with the "all line colors" selected while changing your line colors. An example would be the grise brush. I wonder if there's another way to be able to truly edit the brushes and save them with the edits. Thanks.

Eky

Are you referring to creating and editing a custom brush?

If so, the custom brush really does not have a line color as such. The image you create for the brush becomes the line, color, and the whole kaboodle.

Stroked lines can be colored, but not custom brush shapes.

This help?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

I guess I don't understand why, for example, with the tack brush, you can change all the tacks to yellow, for example, by changing the line color to yellow, but for a brush like grise, you can't but you can draw a line, then open the "edit brush" and click on "all brush colors," select the color you want and it will change to that color (but you have to repeat that for each stroke you want to color). Maybe I'm not understanding the difference between stroked brush and custom brush shape. I assume the tack brush is a custom brush shape as is the grise brush?

The only thing you can do to modify the color of a custom brush (Ivan--if you read this, correct me if I am wrong), is cycle through a range of colors. Not unlike Xara's Alt Rainbow option when creating a linear fill or a blend or contour.

So the brush object's colors are changed but not permanently.

The only way I know of to create different colored brush strokes, is to create different colored brushes.

So, if you want a red, yellow, and blue brush, you need to create a separate brush for each color. In this case three brushes. Each brush might be identical except for the color. And for each new color you want to use, you would need to create a new version of the custom brush.

That make sense?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

First the line must be drawn. When you change color of that line it sometimes (?) change the colour accordingly.

You will find that this brush is actually made from a bitmap which cant have it's colour changed.

I am not familiar with a brush called grise but
    to find out what the brush is made from - right click on the brush in the line gallery and copy the brush image to the clipboard. You can then paste this into your Xara document to find out what it is made of.

Or post a sample of the brush and I or someone else on the forum will tell you.

Save as new on the brush edit menu will only save the brush into the current document - and will be lost if a sample of it is not held in the document. It is then only available as a brush later on if this document has been opened in the current Xara session.

I hope this helps.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Christine,

It appears that the brushes are bitmap, but I can change the line color as I had described previously by selecting the stroke, opening the edit brush/fill properties box, selecting "all brush colors" and then selecting the line color I want. The brush file can be found here http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...1&m=9971989812

You are correct, and I just learned something new (smack upside the head). I selected one of my bubble brushes XaraXone Fills and Brushes page and edited the Brush color. You do need to increase the Transparency setting quite a bit, however.

Great tip, eky

GWP

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester" TARGET=_blank>
    Be it ever so humble...</A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brush.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	4101  

the grise brush and changing the line colors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clouds.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	19039