Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Xara X ERRORS

Forgive my FLAME. I LOVE Xara, I really do. But I keep getting Access Violation errors in Xara X and I just got one that destroyed the document I was working on. It's gone. I can't get it back. 2 hours worth of work. Gone.

-Mike [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Forgive my FLAME. I LOVE Xara, I really do. But I keep getting Access Violation errors in Xara X and I just got one that destroyed the document I was working on. It's gone. I can't get it back. 2 hours worth of work. Gone.

-Mike [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems.

Which version of Xara CD are you running? Xara has released a patch 2.2 for Xara CD 1.0b and 1.0c that fixes some known issues. Do you have it installed?

The patch is a small download. You can find it here: http://www.xara.com/downloads/xarax/xpatch2_2.asp

I can't get Xara X to crash even if I try...

Let us know how it works out!

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

I think that may do it... I'm getting errors when using the Name Gallery.

Thanks,

Mike

Oortcloud... don't get me wrong, I feel your frustration, but you really have to save more often.

Good advice has already been given with regards to making sure you have the latest patches for software your using. More often than not, system crashes are related to the computer user (you and me) for not doing all we can to prevent problems.

SOFTWARE WILL NEVER BE BUG FREE!! Over time mature software just has fewer of the more major bugs.

Get out of the habbit of waiting so long before saving. 2hrs is waay toooo long.

Save often WHEN THINGS ARE GOING GOOD!

Also... save just before commands that are system intensive. After a while you'll get to know the commands I'm talking about.

One last word of advise... try not to have too many applications open at once. This too is risky business, increasing your odds of system crashes.

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!

See my comments on page 7 WebXealot 24

Are you trying to slice an image mixing JPEG and GIF images? That will crash every time and make you a grumpy person.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png

I installed the patch and it has stopped giving me the error. I usually do save, Ed, I must have been in a groove... I use a Dell computer so I'm used to cautious saving in almost every application. Hehe. But all seem sot be going well, I sliced my image into .gifs and got them where I want them.

Thanks All,
    Mike

What? No Monkey Icon? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Saving often is a good idea, but it only works if you save to a different name as you go... I have gotten in the habit of progressing my file name as I go...that way I have a backlog of safe copies.

picture1207.xar (where 1207 represents the date Dec 7th)
    picture1207a.xar (many changes later, same day)
    picture1208.xar (next day...)
    - and so on...

This process has saved my butt a number of times. Many times when Xara crashes hard, it makes the file you were working on corrupt (even if you had saved it 10 seconds ago).

Another thing to check when you get a hard crash is to look in the Windows/temp folder. The xara file you last saved will be there in .tmp status. All you have to do is rename it to .xar and your back on the road...
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0