Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a project in my second Max class in college. The assignment was to do an exploded view assembly animation. All the major pieces are modeled separately and I will separate them to begin the animation. I haven't spent much time with materials or lighting, as nothing is finalized as of yet. Also, we have a deadline, so certain details have to be compromised to achieve the final results. This was modeled with some spline work and extrusions, all polys, and NO meshsmooth. I realize there are a few edges that could be beveled a bit more....

And here's a shot of all the pieces, loosely arranged...

Any criticism, constructive or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated!

Dan Huff
    http://home.neo.rr.com/nikko/

This is a project in my second Max class in college. The assignment was to do an exploded view assembly animation. All the major pieces are modeled separately and I will separate them to begin the animation. I haven't spent much time with materials or lighting, as nothing is finalized as of yet. Also, we have a deadline, so certain details have to be compromised to achieve the final results. This was modeled with some spline work and extrusions, all polys, and NO meshsmooth. I realize there are a few edges that could be beveled a bit more....

And here's a shot of all the pieces, loosely arranged...

Any criticism, constructive or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated!

Dan Huff

I say it look's really good there Danny... only part which grabs my attention for tweaking is the creased area about two inches from the muzzle... other than that hey hey, looks like a gun to me... pretty durn good modeling here

Thanks for the comment Gidgit! I got some great lighting suggestions from 3DZealot over at CGtalk, then found more sculpted areas that were unsatisfactory to me, so I did a quite a bit more tweaking, mostly in the area you mentioned. Here's a little update, though the materials and lighting are still FAR from being finished...

Dan Huff

The wood looks a lot more realistic now, Dan.

My Best,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Looking good Dan

No offence but are you allowed to ask for crits and ideas for your college project?

Thanks, Gare. That particular texture is just the wood procedural that comes with Max, tweaked a bit, of course! I'm going to be ditching it in favor of a real wood finish, once I find or photograph what I like. The whole thing is going to look much different when I'm done, hopefully.

Kiwi, my instructor has no problem with it. He utilizes forums as well and thinks they are a good source of information and expertise on a chosen subject. My Max2 class is an "Independent Study", meaning the college still gets the cash but we mostly do it all on our own, with absolute minimal instruction. We're allowed to utilize any means at our disposal to obtain the knowledge. Teaches us to be resourceful.

Thanks again for the feedback, Guys!

Dan Huff

Sounds like a cool college

For wood check out peoples coffee tables etc,dont use one with a lot of varnish already applied though.

Is there anyway of removing that ridge Gidge mentioned before altogether?,it makes the 2 pieces look they actually dont belong together and also doubtful that area would not have that part machined,so it makes a nice realistic render look not so realistic.

Mabye a bump with some text would look good if the camera does not have to get to close.

I would also make the screws in the hand grip use the same metal material as the other parts.

The row of ridges above the handle look a little to extruded to me maybe.

Stu.

I'd like to see gunmetal black screws on the handle.

Please?

My Best,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Well, There are a few updates...

Thank you Gare for the advice on the screws...I don't know WHAT I was thinking!

Dan Huff