Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Having seen Renauld's post in the tubes topic, I decided I would have a little play around with blends (not having really done much with them before!). I am trying to make the two ends of the undernoted doodle fade out, did this by putting a white square over each end with a linear fill (not even sure if this is the way to do it!), it looks ok on screen but not when printed.

Can anyone PLEASE give me some pointers as to what is the best way to do this, I have no doubt I am going about it the totally wrong way.

Thank you.

Mags
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Having seen Renauld's post in the tubes topic, I decided I would have a little play around with blends (not having really done much with them before!). I am trying to make the two ends of the undernoted doodle fade out, did this by putting a white square over each end with a linear fill (not even sure if this is the way to do it!), it looks ok on screen but not when printed.

Can anyone PLEASE give me some pointers as to what is the best way to do this, I have no doubt I am going about it the totally wrong way.

Thank you.

Mags

Attached Files Attached Files

Mags

If this is the effect you are trying to achieve, then you have succeeded. There is no right way or wrong way to do something as far as I am concerned. If it produces the desired results, it's always the right way ;-)

There are many ways to produce the same effect in Xara (and most applications). It is just a matter of preference.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

What Gary said is spot on, if it looks right, it is right. Now the problem your having with printing it is probably just an issue of your printer not being able to recreate the rather quick gradation. Most ink jet printers just can't accuratly show color values below 20%. Your gradation is rather abrupt so my guess is what your seeing in the print out is the pipe nearly cut straight off with almost no gradation.

Only a few options for you...

1. Buy a better printer. (not a good option for most people).

2. Make your fade longer so the printer has more to work with.

3. print it larger, this will also give the printer a better chance at pulling off the fade.

Thats about the best I can offer you on fixing the printer issue. Otherwise the way you accomplished the effect is the same way I've done it numerous times, and as Gary stated there are several other ways to do it to.

Best of luck

Joe

Mags,

I think you may find that if you start the transparency at the edge of the pipe rather than outside of it you will get a better effect. Also if you used a blend to make the pipe try more blend steps and keep it a a single shape/blend.

Christine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transp2.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	17828  
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

...very much Gary, Joe and Christine for your posts. Will try your suggestions and hopefully I'll get it looking better.

Mags.

ps: have tried this (perhaps in my stupidity!) and I can't get it too work, but am I right in saying that I can't apply a linear transparency to the actual shape/blend (rather than using a transparent square as an overlaw)?

Your objects are lines if you convert to shapes then you can apply the transparency direct.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Thanks but I'm afraid I've got another question! (Usually I give up but I am determined to get this sussed - with a lot of help!)

When I convert to shape I lose the blend and the colour changes to black. Have tried converting both the lines seperately then blending but am getting a fancy shape.

How do I convert to to shape while retaining the blend and colour?

Mags

mags:

You need "convert to shapes" first then do the blends etc.

Sounds like that might mean you need to redo all the effort you have made so far?

Bob C.