Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desert Sunrise.

This is almost the Xara forum, where there are always some helpful people online. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the explanations. Must admit that 3D gives me the same feeling I had when I first opened Coreldraw, some two days after buying my first PC ever (in november 99).

My budget is very limited, and I can't permit myself to make a wrong choice. Up to now I've been lucky (most of the times), and I have a strong "yes" feeling for Cinema3DArt with Bodypaint. But I'll try it out to the bottom before saying yes. I once thought Bryce was what I needed after seeing Bill Ellsworth's work, but it is too recognisable, just like Poser (this is my opinion, and I do not want to say anything negative about software I really don't know).
    I found Terragen on Mark (theKeeper)'s site & downloaded it. It is OK, but I want something else than photorealism.

PS I like your Alien.

Hi guys

Cool pic Gary.Just curious how did you get George Dubba to pose just behind you with the green jacket on? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I thought he was off to Europe.

Stu.

Eric,

Raybrush - is a term that Maxon has coined. Basically it is a method to paint in a raytrace scene. So when you paint you see your texture, reflections, transpacency etc.. in realtime. Pretty cool really.
    Bodypaint is a pretty cool tool. I have no where got a grasp on the tool yet, but what I have played with has been awesome!

--Randy

Hi Erik and Stu--

Funny thing is that the XARA forum is *not* all that different than the 3D forum here. I was the moderator for CorelXARA on corel.com about a billion years ago, and if there's one true-ism about New Media art tools, it's:

•"If ya know about it, ya GOTTA share it."

Stu, in case you were wondering about my rendition of Dubya in the scene, I created the body and extra limbs in Poser, then made an alien head. And the guy brandishing the bug zapper is my Technical Editor of long-standing, and not myself. I don't even own a suit.

Okay, question of the week: whose programs do displacement mapping based on a greyscale image? I *think* trueSpace 5 does. Any others?

Cheers,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Visit a really large gallery at www.GaryWorld.com!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newkid.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	11539  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

I know absolutely nothing about 3D, Gary (other than playing with some demos in the early days of my first computer back in '96), but I LOVE your "New Kid on the Block!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

If you're selling prints of it, I'll buy it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Hiya Smorg--

Did ya get my loathing of Corel out of the picture? Actually, this was a Corel Magazine cover back in 1996, when Corel introduced DRAW for the Macintosh.

So I *do* have a repro-resolution copy of it if you want it. It's about 8MB uncompressed.

Gimme your address, okay?

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Visit a really large gallery at www.GaryWorld.com!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E3D.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	15705  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Hi Gary,

LightWave most definitely has displacement maps (been a standard feature for as long as I can remember). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] trueSpace 5 should support displacement mapping as well. Any program over 500 bucks better support it (if you ask me). Displacement mapping is an awesome feature - and can be used to animate fire, smoke, non-solid volumes, fields of grass, etc. It's one of hollywood's invaluable tools.

[This message was edited by Earl Wilson IV on June 13, 2001 at 15:18.]

Gary thats excellent art work.

Smorg welcome [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I finally got to play/use [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Bodypaint,what a powerfull application it is too.I will post my efforts when I finish.I am at that stage now where you get to when you have new soft and are learning to use it and the most common phrase is "What!,what the hell are they talking about? usually followed by oh ok they do know what they are talking about afterall [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

Cinema 4d has them. I believe Strata also has them.

--Randy