Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desert Sunrise.

Does anyone have any tips for making decent 3d mountains.My problem is I keep on getting unrealistic pointy tops on my attempts,is there a tool or way of making the point less extreme and look more natural also.

Thanks

Stu.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desert_sunrise.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	3583  

Does anyone have any tips for making decent 3d mountains.My problem is I keep on getting unrealistic pointy tops on my attempts,is there a tool or way of making the point less extreme and look more natural also.

Thanks

Stu.

This sunrise is very realistic, looks like a photo. I'm not familiar with cinema, or whatever you are using, however, I have seen plugins for modeling programs that can create realistic mountains. Great job and good luck

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Thanks Steve.

There must be a way of doing it that I am unfamiliar with yet [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Stu.

Hi, Stu--

I too, am clueless as to what software you're using, but if you take a look at Vue d-Esprit, you can paint an elevation map, and have it exported as a DXF file.

Attached is a poor example, because I haven't used Vue in a while.

Kindest Regards,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Visit a really large gallery at www.GaryWorld.com!

Name:	Desert.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	20060  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Stu--

I finally found two pixtures I wanted you to see. I used CyberMesh in Photoshop to build mild elevations, and then I created steep elevations for the pyramids using more contrasting colors. The design on the pyramids is just a bump map.

And you do landscapes far better than I do. I'm just trying to introduce the idea here of creating polygons by mapping tones.

Kindest Regards,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com

Name:	Pyramid_and_bump_map.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	12232  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Thanks Gary.

I am using Cinema 4d art,its the same as xl 6 without ani goodies.

So you can use bump maps or alpha channels created in Photoshop to actually make large mountians,I didnt realize you would get sufficent elevation that way.I am still pretty green to 3d I have had Cinema for about one and half months now.So you just apply the bump maps as a material to say a floor object and viola you get a mountain from the bump is that right Gary?

Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me I appreciate it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

I have just found a new part of the program I didnt know existed Gary,its called releif and it does just what you explained above.I do read my manaul continuously but the info just falls out my ear and onto the floor usually [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks again.

Stu.

I do understand, Stu. I downloaded the pdf manual of Bodypaint, and I think I need a dictionary, because most of the 3D words are completely new. Does anyone know where I can find a real basic explanation of what, how and why in 3D? Please, not for "dummies" (I hate that), but simple definition style, if possible with an example.

Like: Nurbs: blablabla. Example:
    DXF : blablabla.
    Raybrush: blablabla. Example:

I downloaded the 3DArt suite, but there is no Art manual available in pdf.

Hi Erik--

•NURBS- Acronym for Non-Uniform B-Splines. These are paths you create to "skin" in modeling programs. They are easier, mathematically, to handle than straight polygons or regular spline paths. In essense, it's a fancy name for spines (paths).
    •DXF- Acronym for Data Exchange Format, coined by Autodesk in the year 1452. It's the most ancient and primitive way of exchanging 3D data with other programs. I prefer the Mac 3D metafile format, 'cause it understands splines (a dxf file is a shipload of control points that the host program connects into surface polygons. Can you edit a dxf file? Not really. The best you can do is to tell your host program to make the polygon cluster as dense as possible when importing. This increases the resolution of the file (and file size) but it also smoothes out the naturally spikey tendency of polygons.

•Your third definition is proprietary to your program, I believe. I've never read anything about it in technical books but here's a guess: You use a brush tool to indicate on the surface of objects where shadow and reflection tracing should occur? This would make sense, because for the most part, traced reflections and shadows only eat up processor time...from a single view, the audience may or may not see the effect, so with your weirdo tool there, you might be able to control the only areas you want that have realistic optics.

Kindest Regards,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com

Name:	AIP.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	19121  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com