Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: virus warning

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Virus Warning:

There are following new viruses on the way to attack user machines, and these are the worst ever - McAfee and Norton couldn't develop any tool, filter or killer for them - not yet. These viruses will erase your 0 sector on your hard drive, which means you will never be able to boot up again... total loss of data will be the result (unless you know how to restore the 0 sector - do you?).

BTW, this virus disables all virus scanners before it'll start it's damaging process, so don't think you are protected...

The dangerous mail attachments are:

\"A Virtual Card for You\"
    \"An Internet Flower For You\"
    PSYCHOGAME
    SCREENSAVER "BABY FUN"
    Emanuel or Emanuel.exe

Watch out and be careful - DO NOT OPEN THESE ATTACHMENTS.

Kill the mails immediately. BTW, the last 3 will remove DLL's from your system, which won't destroy the hard drive, but you won't be able to boot up again (which is almost the same result).

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Virus Warning:

There are following new viruses on the way to attack user machines, and these are the worst ever - McAfee and Norton couldn't develop any tool, filter or killer for them - not yet. These viruses will erase your 0 sector on your hard drive, which means you will never be able to boot up again... total loss of data will be the result (unless you know how to restore the 0 sector - do you?).

BTW, this virus disables all virus scanners before it'll start it's damaging process, so don't think you are protected...

The dangerous mail attachments are:

\"A Virtual Card for You\"
    \"An Internet Flower For You\"
    PSYCHOGAME
    SCREENSAVER "BABY FUN"
    Emanuel or Emanuel.exe

Watch out and be careful - DO NOT OPEN THESE ATTACHMENTS.

Kill the mails immediately. BTW, the last 3 will remove DLL's from your system, which won't destroy the hard drive, but you won't be able to boot up again (which is almost the same result).

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Good information, Jens. Thanks for the alert.

Copy and send this message to as many people and associates as you can.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester" TARGET=_blank>
    Be it ever so humble...</A>

Please do not proliferate this type of message. It is a hoax. I realize that people are just trying to be helpful but passing along these hoaxes just encourages more of them, consumes bandwidth, and causes needless panic. It took me less than 30 seconds by doing a search on Yahoo to find out that this was a hoax. Although it seems harmless enough, I have clients who's employees waste precious time in perpetuating these hoaxes.

Symantec

The best defense against virus attack is common sense. Keep your virus dat's up to date. Do not open email attachments if they are exe's, vbs's etc.

Just my 2 cents,
    BoffoDude

Worth reading this

http://www.vmyths.com/hoax.cfm?id=222&page=3
    Vmyths
    the site

http://www.vmyths.com/ is highly inflamatory but once you've read it you'll never distribute a hoax again. We've all been caught by them.

<font face="dom casual, verdana>James</font>

<font face="dom casual, verdana>James</font>

I've warned people when the 'I love you' arrived. Some of them told me the story about the hoax. Then I sent them the virus because I was upset. And they had so much fun in turning down their biz networks and machines that I didn't hear for weeks from them.

It's an easy task to code a hard drive eraser - even for me. Believe it or not, I can do it with a tiny postscript command - size less than 1k. You open the attachment, it will only copy a small file into your root, and while you still think it's a hoax and feel safe, I have accomplished my goal: next time you super intelligent guys boot up it'll format your hard drive without giving you a chance to stop it.

Want to testdrive it? It'll be a real pleasure for me to wreck the Mr. Cools in this world.

Remember, it's better to receive 50 false alarms then to be left in the dark, especially for users that are not so sophisticated as the Mr. Cools around here.

See what I mean?

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

.........Ms Cool than Ms Nasty!!!

Tracey

It is indeed very positive to warn people about possible viruses, and it is also very positive to warn the people that this particular virus is a hoax.

But if you write a virus that wrecks any PC, be warned that you can stop your business for at least ten centuries.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

Jens
    one virus was listed as hoax at Symantec but I did not see the others listed there. So I thank you for the warning.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

> Remember, it's better to receive 50 false
    > alarms then to be left in the dark

I don't agree. These hoaxes go round and round for years. I've wasted far more of my time dealing with hoax e-mails than I have with actual viruses.

This is aimed at people in general: if you do feel the need to forward virus warnings (and other chain-letter like e-mails) to your friends, please check your facts. A Google search for the subject of the mail with 'hoax' is usually enough to let you know if it's a fake. Sites like vmyths can also be handy.

(Up-to-date scanners are useful, of course, as is a sensible policy like "don't run attachments, you idiots!". :-) Deleting mail with a certain subject line or attachment name, on the other hand, is not much protection.)