Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Here's something that may be helpful for new users. Its a way to familiarize yourself with Xara's drawing and editing tools while utilizing some old clipart.

B&W clipart is quite common. Someone asked if I could import this clipart into PowerPoint for them. The fig. below was in a CDR format (version 5) which I imported into Xara. Most all the other graphics in the presentation were a higher caliber ... so what could be done to it with just a few minutes available?

If the people were separate objects, they could be given some depth. With the freehand tool I drew some vertical lines which represents body outlines and then used Arrange > Combine > Slice to chop things into pieces. The result is nothing fancy, but it was an improvement (I hope).

Editing clipart is a good way to better understand Xara's editing functions and discover how to represent shapes, and sometimes (as in this piece of clipart) learn what to avoid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clip_Art_Exercise.gif 
Views:	287 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	5598  

Here's something that may be helpful for new users. Its a way to familiarize yourself with Xara's drawing and editing tools while utilizing some old clipart.

B&W clipart is quite common. Someone asked if I could import this clipart into PowerPoint for them. The fig. below was in a CDR format (version 5) which I imported into Xara. Most all the other graphics in the presentation were a higher caliber ... so what could be done to it with just a few minutes available?

If the people were separate objects, they could be given some depth. With the freehand tool I drew some vertical lines which represents body outlines and then used Arrange > Combine > Slice to chop things into pieces. The result is nothing fancy, but it was an improvement (I hope).

Editing clipart is a good way to better understand Xara's editing functions and discover how to represent shapes, and sometimes (as in this piece of clipart) learn what to avoid.

Clever idea. There are thousands of beautiful B&W cliparts and icons which can be enhanced by your technique.

I like it when you can use a piece of clip art and then play off it and make it more personal.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

be rib hem evolutes

Excellent, very cool use of the B&W clipart.

But are you allowed to do that? With all these 60,000,000,000,.... clip-art image CD boxes available and all marked as royalty free. But I don't think you're allowed to change it - without the consent of the originator that is.

Any views or comment?

Turan

I think each product is different. And they all have some kind of use restrictions. The most common is that the users will not put together a package of clip art images and resell them.

I would be surprised if there was a restriction limiting the use of the image as to modifying them, unless again the purpose was for resale.

But when in doubt, ask the company that sells the clip art.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

be rib hem evolutes