Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

In the thread about 'Rejected' Xara X Improvements I wrote about celebrity-themed versions of Xara X. Here's what I wrote:

[rossquote]The facination with celebrities creates a real opportunity for Xara Ltd. - For instance they could market "Xara X - The Benny Hill Edition". It could feature a great xara portrait of Benny (by Vladimyr) on the splash screen. (It could also feature new bevel types called 'bum cheeks' and 'clevage'). There could be numerous celebrity additions. I know I'd love to own a Rolf Harris (Tie-me-kangaroo-down-boy) Edition! You know Wolfgang craves a Sandra Bullock Edition and CrowHaven no doubt would buy a Brandon Lee Edition. Heck, Xara could create a way for dedicated xara users to customize the splash screen in this regard and then remunerate the 'artist' with commissions on each one sold. That is, if I create the splash for the Leonardo Da Vinci Edition then for each copy sold I'd get, say, ten bucks. Xara could of course charge ten bucks more for a celebrity edition so they wouldn't be out anything. Besides this would be a real service to Wolfgang. He needs to feed his obsession![/rossquote]

There might just be something practical in the idea. Imagine if Xara offered a $20 to $30 plugin that would allow custom 'skinning' of Xara X. No doubt many users would be interested. Furthermore, at the XaraClub site they could allow users to upload their skins for others to use. Just as Xara sells $2 fonts, they could sell $2 skin-sets. Creators of the skin would get $1 added to their XaraClub account for each skin they created that is purchased. Xara limited would get the other buck for their trouble - or better yet they could set up a scholarship fund to help with the education costs of promising young Xartists. I suspect such a 'skinning' program could be popular. It would be fun for existing Xara users but might also help create a positive marketing buzz that could spread the word about Xara.

The variety of skin styles that could be created would be practically endless. There could certainly be the celebrity ones but also things like gel effects, rusty, high-tech, woody, stone etc. It seems to me that providing users a way to create skins is preferable to just hiring a graphic artist to do a bunch. To be a popular concept you'd really want it to be flexible. I'm thinking the system would allow changing the program's desktop icon, the splash screen graphic, and all toolbar icons & toolbar background from the default gray to a bitmap. Such flexibility could likely be coded quite easily without compromising program performance.

What do you think? Could such a scheme have any marketing benefit?

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

hi Ross,

Yeah i'm back, i know i haven't been around for a good six months or so and i hope i'm still welcome around here. My disappearance was due to pressures of work, some results of which i hope to share with people here at some point.

Anyhow, the idea of a "skinnable" version of X is a fantastic idea i think. Apart from nothing else, the skinnable community normally swarms over new apps when they appear and this could do be a good way for Xara Ltd to get exposure in other graphics areas. I have done some skinning here and there and it is an immense and very popular world, containing some incredible artistic talent and flair.

The skinning community all tend to talk about apps they use and swap tips etc (much like here) and "word of mouth" is like gold in such places. It would be interesting i think if Xara Ltd could maybe give such an idea a trial, with a less expensive application possibly, just to "test the water" as it were. Does that sound a sensible course of action?

Just my two-penneth anyhow, and its nice to be back.

d-sine.

:: d-sine :: www.d-sine.org
    :: d-sine :: www.d-sine.org

... wanted to have a "dirty-hairy monkey" skin for Xara X. You know hair that actually sways when you move the windows around the desktop.

The buttons would be shaped like teeth, or pieces there of. Everytime you double-click something you get a Tarzan yell.

Sounds like a fun idea, Ross! What does everyone else think?

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

on this idea!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Sounds fun---"Xara Skinned Alive!!!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

that 'skinning' xara certainly wasn't my idea. Dale recently brought up the idea in the tread linked above. I believe it may have come up earlier too - in older threads about desired xara features.

My modest contribution to the idea has more to do with the xaraclub/marketing connection.

Regards, Ross

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

What trivia!

My Stuff

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

I like hair but not that much!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Risto, Risto, have you forgotten to take your medication AGAIN?! :-)

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

"'Xara X - The Benny Hill Edition'. It could ... feature new bevel types called 'bum cheeks' and 'clevage'".

That's just too silly.

Klaus - do you suppose Risto knows "monkey" is slang for the male genitals?

Regards, Ross