Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi all,

Tutorial: Apr 2001 (page 9)
    http://www.xaraxone.com/tutorials/apr01/html/9.htm

The tutorial was really clear & nicely written, and I proceeded very well until i stumbled on this one...

In the last slide, about creating "hollow" bevel texts, steps taken from the tutorial verbatim here:
    -------
    Make a duplicate of the beveled text. Convert it to editable shapes (Arrange > Convert to Editable Shapes).

Ungroup twice (Arrange > Ungroup). Delete the solid portion of the text leaving just the beveled portion.

To delete in Xara just press the Delete key on your keyboard or right click and select Delete from the pop up menu.
    --------

Actually, i can create the required effect. But I really don't understand the purpose of the 'Ungroup' operations and how does it have anything to do with creating 'hollow' bevel texts.

Anyone kind enuf to enlighten a rookie?

Thanks in advance
    Herman

[This message was edited by Graphics Rookie on October 31, 2001 at 09:05.]

Hi all,

Tutorial: Apr 2001 (page 9)
    http://www.xaraxone.com/tutorials/apr01/html/9.htm

The tutorial was really clear & nicely written, and I proceeded very well until i stumbled on this one...

In the last slide, about creating "hollow" bevel texts, steps taken from the tutorial verbatim here:
    -------
    Make a duplicate of the beveled text. Convert it to editable shapes (Arrange > Convert to Editable Shapes).

Ungroup twice (Arrange > Ungroup). Delete the solid portion of the text leaving just the beveled portion.

To delete in Xara just press the Delete key on your keyboard or right click and select Delete from the pop up menu.
    --------

Actually, i can create the required effect. But I really don't understand the purpose of the 'Ungroup' operations and how does it have anything to do with creating 'hollow' bevel texts.

Anyone kind enuf to enlighten a rookie?

Thanks in advance
    Herman

[This message was edited by Graphics Rookie on October 31, 2001 at 09:05.]

Herman

I just recreated that step to make sure it wasn't me that messed up. And everything worked as it is written.

1) Select the beveled text.

2) Convert to Editable Shapes (Arrange menu)

3) Ungroup twice (Arrange > Ungroup, Arrange Ungroup)

4) Select the text (not the bevel) and delete it.

This should leave the bevel for XARA.

Delete the bottom text ROCKS.

This should leave just the bevels.

(Welcome to the Xara Conference, by the way :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.jpg

Gary, Thx for the reply.

Actually, as i said in my first post, i can recreate the effect. But what i don't understand is the purpose of the 'Ungroup' operations... because it seems it has nothing to do with creating hollow bevel text (in fact it does)...

Thx
    Herman

If I understand your question, you need to ungroup so that you can delete the text but not the bevel... in certain situations you need to ungroup twice to get the two parts separated...a xara foible I think (or more likely something going on in the background I don't understand [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

Mickie