Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This thing is totally out of control. If I had not installed PoP 3 Scan Mailbox, I would be out of business.

I have received a virtual bushelbasket of infected messages from a computer in India just this morning.

Am I the only one receiving this volume of these messages, or is everyone having similar problems?

If most people are receiving this volumn of messages, I could easily see this thing clogging the Internet to the point where it goes down.

Agree? Disagree?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

beehive be vie hoe tumblers

Thanks for the tip! I've been using Pegasus for years, and never even knew I could do that with it. Now I'm happily selectively downloading away. To make it a little easier for others to find that feature, click on "File". It's in the scrolldown menu.

The nasty thing about this particular virus is that unlike many that have gone before it, it does not need to use the Windows Address book (though it can) or Outlook Express to propagate.

First the virus scans any files in the infected users temporary internet cache (HTML pages)looking for valid email addresses. Next it uses it's own SMTP email relay program to send out files without the user being aware, nothing shows up in the Outlook Express sent messages log.

So anybody who has looked at a web page that has your email address encoded in it (And I'm sure there are a lot of popular ones) is a potential sender of the virus to you.

If the person is on a permanently on internet connection they may not realise what is happening until a system admin checks the day's proxy server internet logs. Unlike a dialup connection, on a network you don't get a set of flashing LEDs in the corner of the screen showing data being sent back and forth.

The best that you can do is notify the person A.S.A.P. and warn them what is happening. Your message may be the first they know about it.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt