Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Peter Clifton suggested a Free product called Pop 3 Scan Mailbox

What a terrific suggestion. I downloaded it, and the manual (in Word 7, Word 97, and PDF formats) and installed it.

You connect to your ISP and preview your mail before you download it.

What works best for me is to download my mail as usual, but if it looks like it is taking a loooong time, abort the download, open Pop 3 Scan Mailbox, look at the first 10 lines of any suspect messages, and delete the suspicious ones.

Then disconnect from Pop 3 Scan Mailbox and download my mail as usual.

This product is terrific.

Thanks for the tip Peter.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

beehive rubs motel

Peter Clifton suggested a Free product called Pop 3 Scan Mailbox

What a terrific suggestion. I downloaded it, and the manual (in Word 7, Word 97, and PDF formats) and installed it.

You connect to your ISP and preview your mail before you download it.

What works best for me is to download my mail as usual, but if it looks like it is taking a loooong time, abort the download, open Pop 3 Scan Mailbox, look at the first 10 lines of any suspect messages, and delete the suspicious ones.

Then disconnect from Pop 3 Scan Mailbox and download my mail as usual.

This product is terrific.

Thanks for the tip Peter.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

beehive rubs motel

yes, a lot of email hosts also offer web-based services so you can view the list of emails and their attachments, then delete those attachments that are suspect or just plain unconstitutional..

<font size="1">(hmmm . . I think Gary has been hit by the dreaded Thesaurus Virus.. anyone noticing the strange misspellings of Gary's home page link appearing beneath his posts??
    Yes.. I know Gary's spelling <u>is</u> strange anyway.. but.. well.. )

Q.
    </font>

Gary and all,

I am using a Mailclient named "Calypso" from MCS Dallas. It's absolutely great for multiple accounts and it has one nice feature in particular:

You can (amongst others) define a filter that goes like "If Mail > xxx kB, receive only the first yyy lines" etc. To do this you need to be no programmer, it's very intuitive and easy.

I have set this filter to all my accounts with a rather low limit of the filesize.
    Now, if anybody sends me rubbish I did not ask for, I can simply delete it on the mailserver without downloading it.

Something like your mailclient PLUS this POPscan thing. And more ..

Wolfgang

P.S.: I hope, I will not get banned from this forum for using "XXX". Ooops, I did it again ..

FYI, it appears this product has been discontinued...

James

James,

you are right unfortunately. I just went to the homepage and there it was.

However, I am running version 3.1 (with 3.3 being the latest) without any problems. It's stable and has all the function I ever needed.

If I am not mistaken, they are giving away the product for free now !
    If this is true, it's even better than before.

It's up to you (all) if you want to use a discontinued product or not, I will go on using it anyway.

Still sorry for their decision ..

Wolfgang

Winters where it\'s cold, summers where it\'s hot

I just D/L it yesterday afternoon

<a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Question:

why don't you get rid of MS apps like Outlook asap and install Pegasus Mail instead? It's freeware, it's sleek and has a built-in mailbox checker for POP 3 accounts! This feature is called 'selective mail download', retrieves all mail headers, size, sender etc on the server, then you simply mark the messages you want to retrieve, delete, leave on the server etc.

You can get it here: http://www.pegasus.com

Install, enjoy & protect yourself with non-MS apps!

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Winters where it\'s cold, summers where it\'s hot

Jens, all there is here is a page on the Pegasus sailing ship.....

I found it
    http://www.pmail.com/index.cfm

Thanks for the heads up!

Dennis

Gary,

I'm glad the link was of use.

Jens

I use Pegasus Mail, both at work and at home. At work it is the only email client we allow (I deliberately block the use of Outlook Express), coupled with Mercury/32 (from the same people)it operates our entire email system at head office and across a WAN link to our factory.

If anyone is considering Pegasus Mail then I too would recommend a look.

Whilst it protects you from scripting/worm viruses, they just don't run, you still need to exercise caution with the attachments.

I use the following extension to Pegasus Mail to force McAfee (Or any virus package with an 'on demand' scanner program) to scan any file attachment on viewing or saving.

It is available at

ftp://risc.ua.edu/pegasus/misc/virscan.zip

The config file needs editing as the latest versions of McAfee put the on demand scanner in a different place during install.

Also in Pegasus you can force a specific program to open a specific file extension, so for example even though I have Word on the computer at work, I have installed the Microsoft Word Viewer and associated this to the .DOC extension in Pegasus Mail, to avoid problems with Macro Viruses.

Funnily enough the only complaints I get at work are from people who use Outlook Express at home, but most people at work quite like it, clean, simple and does the job.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt