Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: text editing

I hate to get impolite in the forum but to put it politely Xara is a drawing programme and if you are using to make text enriched posters you are using the wrong programme as suggested you should be using something like Quark or even a more friendly xara programme like InDesign. Stop expecting a small fast programme like Xara to do everything.

With all the solutions suggested to you to combat the problem of your poor spelling surely you would like the ability to save your work or export your work as a PDF file first before you think about a plugin for a spell checker. I would like to have the ability to stop jumping around various programmes and only use three at the most so that my work rate improves using a limited amount of software.

Do not confuse the development of Xara by making silly requests that are easily solved and as Jens states how many spell checkers do you want in a machine. Come on folk do not be silly do you relly want to slow this programme down because I do not want that to happen!
    Design is thinking made visual.

If there is a way for Charles to do this and I think he has some interest in it then I don't think it's a 'silly' request. Xara X1 has the capability to create posters so why use another program?? As for the ability to export in PDF that has been covered and covered more. Simply go and download PDF95 and then in the "Print" area just choose PDF95 from the drop down print menu and there you go. Works just fine! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I do all my poster work in Xara - it being the best graphics tool out. I'd therefore die for a spell checker so think (at leat a plug in ) would be an excellent idea. I hate the thought of having to open word to check things - even worse is when I've been so focused on getting that perfect curve on the words 'Welcome to our school' etc that it's not until I've converted text to shape that I realise it says weclome!

All that said I recognise that it is a grapics program and that I'm using it as a DTP prog also and I live with it.

Just my thoughts - if it helps a plugin development.

Turan

'Welcome to our school' etc that it's not until I've converted text to shape that I realise it says <span class="ev_code_RED">weclome</span>

Hoppens to me all the time!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

It "hoppens" to all of us from time to time ... and a spell checker would be of some assistance. I also do a great deal of "text enriched" projects and find Xara X to be the best overall tool for the job. I just make it a point to manually proof-read before sending an advertisement to a newspaper with a readership of 50,000.

If Charles says it's on the list ... it's on the list. We all have our OWN list which fits our style of work. Multiple pages is high on my list but I know I'm in the minority ... at least in this forum. If I get it ... fabulous. If I don't, it won't change the way I feel about Xara X ... or the fact that I'm very pleased with the program as is.

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I continue to use Xara even though it doesn't have a spell checker. I still think it's a good idea -- for my work it would make things MUCH easier. I recognize that Xara is primarily a graphics program. I also think that most of us who use it professionally have to include text and a spell checker is an extraordinarily helpful tool for text.

I'm in the "do your spellchecking elsewhere" camp. And I second Jens' suggestion of NoteTab, although I use the free version so I don't use it for spellchecking. I'd rather spend potential bloat "dollars" on functions I don't already have all over my system.

BTW, I never paste text from Word into any other application without cleaning out the junk first, either by passing it through NoteTab or another text editor or by using Paste Special as Text. Same goes for copying text from one Word doc to another. For that matter, between any two applications. Saves a lot of grief. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif