Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: text editing

I wish Xara was more compatable with Word documents -- and that it included a spell checker. I have a fair amount of text on the graphics I do using the program and often would like to import documents from Word. As that doesn't work well, I particularly miss a spell checker.

I wish Xara was more compatable with Word documents -- and that it included a spell checker. I have a fair amount of text on the graphics I do using the program and often would like to import documents from Word. As that doesn't work well, I particularly miss a spell checker.

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Hi Ifdow,

Welcome to Talkgraphics. I just copy and paste the text from word into xara. the layout capabilites of word sucks, so... you have to reformat the text anyway. I have also copied and pasted from Access to Xara with no problems.
    John/DOT

Thanks, John. That's what I do now. Word may not be the best for layout, but it's so common and I do use it a lot for text stuff. I don't mind eliminating it, and my typing is pretty good, but I'd still like a spell checker.

Personally Ifdow,

I feel a spellchecker in my drawing program is something I could do without. How many custom dictioanries do you want on your computer?

Another way to look at it would be like a screwdriver and a chisel. You can turn screws with both and chisel with both, so why have both in your toolbox? Simple... each is better at the task it was designed for.

A word program should be used for word stuff, and a graphic program should be used for graphics. If not you get those all in one stereos from the 5 & 10 that played everything but nothing well...

Hmmm... That explains anything by Microsoft doesn't it?
    John/DOT

John,

I do a lot of posters and promotional materials using Xara. My style of graphics heave, but this kind of stuff has to have text. My editing more or less sucks, so without a spell checker, typos, spelling problems, etc. can get by. Then, I have to go back in and rework and export or reprint the job. All could be prevented with an imbedded checker.

Now, I do the text in word and either copy and paste (which means reformatting) or retype the text in Xara, both of which mean extra steps.

I still vote for a spell checker.

lfdow

. . . my style is graphics heavy . . .

see what I mean?

I would vote for a spellchecker plugin... but not something embeded in the program. Too close to bloatware for me.

Hey that is an idea! Charles, is it possible for a spellchecker to be built into a plugin and function on text in Xara?
    John/DOT

That works for me!

Charlies -- what about it?

lfdow

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

ifdow,

if you insist on a spell checker, I'll suggest a creativity bell (it'll ring as soon as you've reached a perfect drawing!), a sleek coffeemaker (because the loading time for the spell checker will force us to wait forever), and a GPS navigation system - I mean, it would take a hughe burden off my shoulders if I wouldn't be forced to switch to another app just because I want to plan a route.

And maybe a hidden kill feature that kills the installation of Xara X if the users demand superfluous features...

There will always be some people who ask for lingerie at the gas station and 30 gallons diesel at the bakery...
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--