Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recycled...

Steve Newport

-My Gallery-

-Featured Artist 2002-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guitar2.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	2982  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I still find myself drawn to observe nature on this one. I'll try to keep my eyes open to applicable situations I can observe.

Steve - the bright (non-cloudy) one looks great assuming there is a fairly bright light close. Your bleach transparency on a greyscale bitmap overlay sounds like a very useful technique: I'll remember that one!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Ross

I've probably used that technique in every drawing I've done since I figured it out in my monster in the closet sketch with the wood. It just helps realisticly texture things a lot better. I garuntee it'll help you in the future

Steve Newport

-My Gallery-

-Featured Artist 2002-
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Thats better Steve [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] but the wood would just have a slightly lighter almost imperceptible change in color as the light falls off.The cloudy high reflection images would be more direct sunlight I think [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hope you dont mind Ross I would like to see if I can create what I am gibbering about [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

The inner string shadows are not quite right,but I think the wood light falloff is a bit better [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Stu.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rosses-guitar-copy.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	2237  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Stu, that falloff does look good. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Actually, the reason for my sort of falloff is: When you have enamaled/glossy wood covering, there are spots in the texture that doesn't reflect any light, therefor staying it's natural saturated color. But some woods and gloss's don't do that, so your's would just as well be fine!

However, your shadows aren't correct I think. The one's inside the guitar would need to be further over to the right. Simply because if you look at the shadow on top of the guitar, they are about 3 string's width to the right. Now as the depth increases, the shadows will get farther and farther away. Also, the shadow of the opening is cast a considerable amount to the right. So I would expect the shadows to be further to the right

Cool topic thus far!

Steve Newport

-My Gallery-

-Featured Artist 2002-
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Ya but your spots of light are too abrupt Steve,too focused,like a spot light is shining on them not,the suns light.Sun light always has a linear fall off.

Where you have glossy patches of varnish they do reflect light in the way you showed,but they also have to adhere to the rules of phisics,ie fall off,or you get what looks likes focused light from a small bright light source.

I didnt even touch the inside of the guitar and I just chucked some blurred lines to represent the string shadows under them.I was just trying to show how the wood might look ,not the shadows [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It does have spots of varying illumination Steve they are just really hard to see.

Stu.

If the strings should be nylon ones, the thinnest ones should be either greyish-transparant or black (black Labella's are great strings!) and the thinner ones should be brass finely entwined around thin wires of nylon.

But this is very good Xara work!

[This message was edited by Erik Heyninck on December 28, 2002 at 05:22.]

This is fer sur a naggly thing, but would not the strings be closer to the body toward the top, as that is the direction in which the frets are located, with really shalow clearance?

I'm gonna go look at my Rick upstairs...

...and EXCELLENT choice of themes and EXCELLENJT execution.

Happy New Year,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.