Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recycled...

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

3d look created in 2d xara some time ago and posted previously in the Xara Gallery Forum. Things seemed quiet here and I thought I'd better post something.

I want to wish you all 'Season's Greetings' and hope you all look forward to a 'Happy New Year'.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rosette.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	11376  

3d look created in 2d xara some time ago and posted previously in the Xara Gallery Forum. Things seemed quiet here and I thought I'd better post something.

I want to wish you all 'Season's Greetings' and hope you all look forward to a 'Happy New Year'.

Regards, Ross

Really nice Ross [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Hey excellent job Ross. Spot on mate! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    I noticed no grooves along the strings, so i'm assuming it's a nylon string (classical) guitar. Perhaps darken the strings a tad in that case; or at least the top 3 (G B E).

Great wood texture.

Merry Xmas everybody! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Oh ya very very nice job Ross [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I dont know if you are looking for critique or not,but the lit bevelled edge suggests upper left light source,so the guitar would be a bit lighter as well from the top left area of the wood reducing to its current lightness on the right hand side.I dont know the Xara term,but in Photoshop I would use very a light yellow gradient for this effect.But all the same brilliant work [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Stu.

always nice to see someone recycle there Ross... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

May your season be as nice as your worx always are... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Merry Christmas

Gidgit

for the comments.

I'll really have to think about the lighting ones Stu. In a 2d illustration like this, none of the elements have mathmatical correctness as they might with a rendered three-d model. Here it's really just seat of the pants stuff. If there was a strong light source close to the guitar I think Stu would be right about the appropriateness of a wash of lighting from the top left. Without a strong light source at play, I'm not so sure. I'll have to think about the lighting effects more and keep my eyes open more to real world situations. Little exercises like this can really help tune your observational skills. Thanks for 'highlighting' [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] this aspect Stu.

One challenge I had with the drawing was the shadows from the strings. I found it very hard to position them relative to the strings. Too close and it appeared that the strings were too close to the guitar face. I'm still not all that happy with where I put them. -- It's always nice to have some stupid thing to worry about. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

All the best to you all in the coming year.

Regards, Ross

All the best to you Ross [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Might be very wrong here but would the string shadows be lke this,first shadow quite close to the edge of the string,second shadow a little further away then the third the same......not sure maybe it might be like that .Actually I will do a quick set up in C4D as now I am curious [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

But all the same its very very close to photo realistic.

Stu.

Heres a quicky [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I can move the mainlight around really easily as well to check shadow from different angles.

Stu.

Name:	Ross-guitar.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	157  

I toyed around with the image to see the different kind of effects we're talking about here. I think since the shadows of the small strings are pretty crisp it would take a fairly strong focused light behind to the left upwards of the viewer. Thus I think a reflection on the shiny guitar surface would be appropriate. Or maybe just a simple saturation change to the upper left. I achieve the wood grain highlights just by taking the bitmap and making it Black & White, applying a bleach linear fill, and messing with the profile. And they both have a 20% black linear saturation transparency.

Steve Newport

-My Gallery-

-Featured Artist 2002-

Name:	guitar.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	8600  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-