Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gary: Differences in color, size or any attribute make no difference. I can't replicate your color toggling behavior. Alt-clicking has no effect with any action I've tried.

It just seems that something with my system is interfering with this particular function. Everything else I've done while working through the XaraXone tuts works as advertised -- though I have had a number of crashes (probably due to pushing the limits). I just can't imagine what the problem could be in this instance.

Maybe one of the Xara techs who hang around here can lend some insight.
    Lonnie

"1M Ram" - Lonnie

Was this a typo? Do they even make 1meg anymore? I tried you example. Created an elipse, cloned it (control-K), turned the new one red. Selected the red(top) one, then alt-clicked the red one and the black one was selected but I could not drag it...

Hi Lonnie,

It does sound as if some other program installed on your machine might be handling the Alt keys in a way that prevents Xara X from dealing with them how it wants.

However, just to get a handle on this problem, can you confirm whether the following sequence works or not:
    * New document
    * Draw two overlapping ellipses
    * Make sure neither is selected
    * In the Selector tool position the pointer over the overlapping area of the two ellipses
    * Hold down left-Alt key
    * Click once (You should see the top ellipse become selected)
    * Click again (You should see the bottom ellipse become selected)
    * Release the left-Alt key

Sorry if that sounds a bit basic, but I need to eliminate as many variables as possible and know that you're doing exactly what I'm doing.

Thanks,

Phil

John: Yup... typo! Meant 1G. So, you can't drag-move a selected under object either?

PhilM: That's "exactly" what I've tried. Alt-RIGHTclick does cycle through stacked selections. Can't drag-move (Ctrl-Alt drag) though. Alt key does flip cursor though as expected, so it is recognizing the keypress.
    Lonnie

Hi Lonnie,
    As PhilM sugested maybe another program is making some kind of interference with the Xara shortcuts. It already hapened me before.
    Try this: Close as much third partie programs runing in background as you can (those runing in the system tray) and anything else you don´t need in the processes tab of the windows task manager (don´t stop system processes, only third partie app). and then try again alt+click +drag in Xara. If it works the problem is with one of those third partie programs that is probably blocking some shortcut keys.

Regards,
    Miguel B.

Miguel: You nailed it http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

The culprit was "1-click Answers" (see Answers.com), which is triggered by alt-click.

Thank you SO much. I guess I was not seeing the forest for the trees. When I read your suggestion the light came on immediately! I sure hope this little incident will help others. Once I exited that proggy, everything works in Xara as advertised http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/mad.gif
    Lonnie

You could always use the Tab key to sequence through the objects, but if you have a ton of objects on the page this can get laborious.

Glad to hear you solved the problem.

We can all sleep better now :-)

Gary

You´re welcome!
    Glad to know everything is solved http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Regards,
    Miguel B.