Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ALERT: Newbie inquiry

Selecting an object under another should be enabled by left-alt, then click (with the select tool). Not here! The cursor flips, but no selection is made -- or if the top object was selected, does NOT select the object beneath.

Any insight?

(I have boxed software, not trial)
    Lonnie

ALERT: Newbie inquiry

Selecting an object under another should be enabled by left-alt, then click (with the select tool). Not here! The cursor flips, but no selection is made -- or if the top object was selected, does NOT select the object beneath.

Any insight?

(I have boxed software, not trial)
    Lonnie

Can you post the Xara file (or portion of the Xara file) that is giving you the problem?

Hello Lonnie, welcome to Talkgraphics http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    It should work as you are doing...
    Try with another image to check if it works or not. If not it´s maybe an instalation problem?! Something get corrupted.

Miguel B.

Are the objects grouped?

If you drag a selection marquee around the objects (using the Selector Tool (the arrow pointer) drag a rectangle around all the objects) what does the message on the status bar say? (The status bar is in the lower left corner of the screen).

Gary

Hi Lonnie,

If the beneath object is on a non-editable layer, you can see it but not select it. Check the configuration of your Layers Gallery.

-- Sam

John: This is the case with ANY drawing. Simple test case: New drawing, draw two overlapping ellipses, Select tool -- Alt (cursor flips) but no amount of clicking on objects selects anything.

Miguel: Like above, ANY drawing. I uninstalled - reinstalled Xara. I note that it works if I Alt-RIGHTclick, but still cannot drag-move selected object (Ctrl-Alt drag). I can move selected (under) object with cursor keys, but not elsewise.

Gary: No, not grouped. Multiple selecting objects works fine, status bar indicating (in this case) 2 ellipses...

Sammo: Only one layer in use with this simple test case.

More details: Xara 1.1d -- WinXP Pro SP2 -- AMD 2400+ -- 1M Ram -- MS optical mouse. I just tested also with my Wacom tablet... same thing!

Baffled http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif
    Lonnie

Hi Lonnie,

Check Utilities >> Options >> Mouse. Make sure Left Mouse Button is set for Normal Click. The other Left Mouse Button function choices behave differently than you'd expect when Alt is also pressed.

Utilities >> Options >> Mouse >> Left Mouse Button IS set for Normal Click. That's one reason I did a clean install. No options have been changed from default.
    Lonnie

Hmmm.

Just tried this and it works for me.

Nother question. Are both ellipses the same color?

I made one ellipse red and one blue and when I Alt click the color in the status bar toggles from one color to the other.

Gary