Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am having a dickens of a time getting some table top seating cards printed for my daughters up coming wedding. I could use any help given.

The cards are 3 7/8 square with a crease down the middle for the fold. I can set the card up in xara ok under page options,and I know I will have to print each name seperately. The problem I am having is the printing. I have three printers and none will let me set up for this size of a card.The smallest option I have is the 3x5 card size. So when I goto print the cards because the names are of different lengths they are not always centered.

What might be my options here to make this a little easier.

TIA

Mike

I am having a dickens of a time getting some table top seating cards printed for my daughters up coming wedding. I could use any help given.

The cards are 3 7/8 square with a crease down the middle for the fold. I can set the card up in xara ok under page options,and I know I will have to print each name seperately. The problem I am having is the printing. I have three printers and none will let me set up for this size of a card.The smallest option I have is the 3x5 card size. So when I goto print the cards because the names are of different lengths they are not always centered.

What might be my options here to make this a little easier.

TIA

Mike

Welcome to the forum.
    I'm a bit confused by you request. Have you already pre-purchased these cards (@ 3 7/8 inches square) and now wish to pass them thru your printer to add the names?
    If this is the case it might be very difficult. My option would be to print out the names on adehisive strips and stick them to the cards. Centering would then be quite simple.
    Can you explain in a bit more detail
    You can get an idea of the label type by visiting:

web page
    Most small stationers sell these labels by the sheet if you require.

[This message was edited by Egg Bramhill on September 10, 2001 at 16:23.]
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg...

Thank u for helping me out here. You ask...

"Have you already pre-purchased these cards (@ 3 7/8 inches square) and now wish to pass them thru your printer to add the names?"

Yes this is correct...my wife bought these cards because they decided to do this at last minute...I was wanting to use a fancy font for the names and then print them out individualy. I know its a little work but that was the plan...The labels I dont think would look that good...I did some of the cards like I said, but when I get to shorter names or longer names then the name moves right or left of center and looks bad...

I have been on the sidelines of this forum for a long time...I'm just a newbie with xara and theres not much I can contribute but a whole lot of questions...so i sit and watch and be amazed at the talent of many in hopes of someday I can do it....

Thanks again for your kindness

Mike

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Bigbadwolf - I like your name [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] If you are willing to forgo the purchased cards for some homemade ones, here's what you could try...

If you can print to cardstock paper, get yourself some letter size sheets. Many stationers call it "cover stock". Note how a letter size sheet can be quartered into four pieces that in turn can be folded over into a decent sized card. Before you start cutting and folding you'll want to do your printing. To get things right you can take a piece of paper and rough out with a pencil a mockup of how you should prepare your xara document for printing. For instance, you'll find if you want writing on the front and the back you will have to prepare some of the writing upside down. That isn't hard in xara. Just create it right-side-up for convienience and then rotate it 180 degrees. If you want writing on the inside then create a similar xara document that has all the inside writing you want to appear on four cards and print that to the reverse side of your cardstock. Make sure you have some spare sheets of paper because it is easy to feed a sheet into the printer backwards and accidentally have one side of the cards printed upsidedown.

With your printing done you need to do some cutting and folding. Take your time and remind yourself you are having fun [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Regards, Ross

PS Best wishes to the newlyweds (and the parents).

Hi Mike,

Avery makes a clear label that is very good, becomes invisible when placed on white paper. I use the 1 inch by 2 5/8 inch which is Avery number 8660. If you think this might be of help, I can create a template for the sheets in XaraX.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

From what your saying you've managed to get the cards thru the printer and printed out some names.
    It's the alignment that's the problem.
    If you create a 3 7/8 inch square on one layer (see attached screen grab) then on another layer in xara if you select the text tool, then left click and drag you get a "format" line (the red line with the 2 red squares at the end. Make this line the width of the card (3 7/8 inches), select centred text. Type in the required name, print: change the name, print: etc.
    You may have to do it upside down to ensure the printer prints the on the correct part of the card.
    Hope this makes sense.
    All the best with the wedding. I remember my oldest daughter getting married. As soon as you enter a shop and say "My daughters getting married" you can see the sales assistants eyes roll up the ££££'s
    Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!!!!!print_cards.gif 
Views:	311 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	1213  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You are all very kind and as always very helpfull.

Ross...I was thinking about doing it your way and remembered my account with paper direct and they make these cards on the 8 1/2 x 11. I thought that was what I would end up having to do if I want it done right.

Now Soquili...you give me another idea that I didnt think of..I will go down to the local staples and see what those clear labels will look like...if they look ok than that will work for me, but I think I will play it smart and pass this by the wife before I do anything hehehe...BigBadWolf or not my mama didnt raise no fool hehehe....

Thanks again to all for the kindness and your best wishes Ross...

Mike

Egg...Just got in from work so staples might be closed for now so I will give your example a try...I understand it and it looks like it might work for me...I will have to put two of those format lines on the card for front and back and remember to put the one name upside down and backwards for when I fold it

Thanks for your help and your kind thoughts on our wedding...you are sooooo right about the cost...I am so glad I only have one daughter...I have great respect for those dads with all girls...poor guys...

Mike

Egg...Your example worked like a charm...That was the secret to keeping it centered..the "format" lines...

Thanks again to all

Mike