Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I've noticed a few bugs and some large gaps in the exporters. Adobe Illustrator supports transparency, so why doesn't the XAR->AI exporter?

I can't help but feel that Xara X is due for an update. Any thoughts?

matt

I've noticed a few bugs and some large gaps in the exporters. Adobe Illustrator supports transparency, so why doesn't the XAR->AI exporter?

I can't help but feel that Xara X is due for an update. Any thoughts?

matt

Only the last two versions of Illustrator support transparency. Xara's AI export is only up to version 8 I think. So this could be the reason.

And even if Xara could export to version 10, Illustrator does not support more than flat, linear and radial transparency. So if you tried to export a conical or 3, 4 color transparency or square, it would not come into AI 10. Same thing with Flash.

I was thinking however that you could export your image to SWF bearing in mind the transparency limitations, then import the Flash into Illustrator.

Or, if you need to work in Illustrator, do your drawing in Xara and apply your transparency in Illustrator.

Illustrator will not support Xara's Bevel and shadows either. However if your convert these to editable shapes (Arrange menu) first they will come into Illustrator as bitmaps.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

Xara only exported AI7.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Sheff

I'm not sure about the Export format but versions 7 and 8 are supported for Import.

When you export it just does it without an option to save in a specific version so I have assumed the export was to version 8.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone