Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I use XX for most of my optimising because I find (unlike some) I can usually make my JPEGs smaller and better-looking that way and I appreciate the selection of GIF and PNG export controls.

I've just tried re-exporting your GIF from XX and come up with the following observations:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>It only needs 5 colours to export at 15249 bytes using the 256 colour optimised palette.<LI>You can reduce that to 13972 bytes with the same 5 colours in the 16 colour optimised palette.<LI>You can get that down to 13907 bytes using the WebSnap optimised palette. It appears to be one of the anti-aliasing colours (and not one of the two main colours) that's being changed here.<LI>Swapping the 16 colour WebSnap optimised GIF for the same in PNG knocks that down to 12718 bytes.<LI>Further manual reductions in the number of colours don't appear to bring any improvements in this case.[/list]IMHO, you won't do much better than that, but I'd be delighted for someone to prove me wrong!

Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export2.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	6522  
    IP

I use a freeware utility that cleans jpegs of their extraneous code, often resulting in files sizes 2-3k smaller. If your graphic is 10k, you can often reduce it to 7-8k, a substantial savings if you have a lot of small graphics.

Rainbow Software

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll
    IP

to the help received, which i do appreciate, particularly a rare second chance. The image was just too large in pixels so I'm going to cut them all down which means more pages, implying more banners to reduce afterwards. But I have certainly learned from this, thanx for that too

Jon
    Jon
    IP