Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Everybody,

just to add my tuppence worth to this sad thread: Kate sent me the beta of Xara 3D 5 two days ago (see my respective posts in the X3D forum ..).

She told me that the release date ist to be very very soon. I don't give you any exact time frame here. Not only because I found some bugs that need to be fixed, but the date Kate gave me was not an official one.

Anyway, X3D5 IS EXISTING, I have it in my hands and it rocks!

I can't see any reason why she would have sent it to me if it was not going to be released pretty soon. And to finish it completely they will need ... programmers, right!

My opinion to this case (and I am NOT an insider, it's purely personal):
    Gaussian is right when he says that Xara is doing more marketing than ever.
    Right because they did not do ANY serious marketing at all before. And my guess is that Xara did not sell THAT much of their products in the last years. Which is a shame but just due to this non-existant marketing.

That may be why Xara was concentrating on getting distributors in the past and this may be as well the reason why Xara is focussing on easy-sell consumer products like WebStyle.

Maybe they are running out of money (no insult, just a guess) and they had to fire SOME programmers ??
    What would they (the programmers)say at their new job ??
    Offended and sad as they would be ??
    Maybe something like "We were just the first to go, others will follow soon" ???
    And wouldn't such a rumour spread well under competitors ??

To Gaussian: I was a lurker in this forum myself for the longest time and I am using X since Xara Studio 0.99. I did not have a reason to register/post until "my time" for it had come. I would not count this as evidence against QdMcG. He is responding to us and even if this is a hoax, maybe he fell for it himself.

Finally to QdMcG: After your initial post, people here used pretty strong words agains you. You never hit back, stuck to the subject and kept friendly. Apart from the Xara-case being right or wrong, this shows character. Two thumbs up for that !!

http://www.yump.com/images/wolfgang_run.gif
    IP

Of course Gaussian is right. This is so obvious that I just didn't want to reply earlier.
    Makes me think of these Bob Dylan lines:
    "Cares not to come up any higher but rather gets you down in the hole that he's in."

http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum...ine=1019851685
    IP

I have had an almost-done version of X3D5 since Monday, and as late as yesterday Kate assured me that the release version was coming very soon - she even gave me a date, but as it's NDA I can't say anything more than what Wolfgang did. But trust us, the program really exists, it's great, and it will be released VERY soon.

I am a bit concerned now about the issues relating to the "Serif situation." As a wild guess on my part, it would not be illogical to assume that since Webstyle 3 has just been released and X3D5 will be very soon, that they have let some programmers go who have worked on these now-completed products. But I stress that I have no knowledge about this!

But I have emailed Kate this evening and I'm hoping to get a clarification tomorrow, Thursday.

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

IP

and I am with Wolfgang on not assuming that this Quickdraw person is the devil incarnate, just relating what he heard through his friend. So I am sitting here at work on my crapy computer that has NO virus scan and my account that I have registered here at TalkGraphics has been inundated with virus activity lately so I have to wait to get home in order to see if Serif.com US got back to me or not. Sorry I can't get to it faster, client just walked in the door on top of it all.............

Later

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

OK, OK, I give in. I was not going to comment on this story since it involves a business issue, and a sensitive one at that. But clearly my email intray will know no peace until I give you some reassurance, so here's my one and only comment on this thread...

The computer industry is a hard place to be at the moment, but software development is the business we've been in since 1981 and it's the business we intend to stay in.

Yes, Xara Group made some redundancies in May but NO, we have not laid off all our developers and yes, we are continuing to develop software, including client side graphics software.

I think our webmaster will be a bit mortified to hear you think the web pages haven't changed since May. But then again he is working very hard on the new X3D5 pages (and that's the only clue I'm giving on future releases!).

Kate

Kate Moir
    http://www.xara.com
    http://www.buyfonts.com
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    IP

Thanks from me too !!!

Friendly,
    ivan
    IP

That's made my day - fantastic news!

--
    Graeme
    Graeme
    IP

Thanks, Kate - we needed to hear from you! Pestering works. :-)

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

IP

Sometimes it's so easy, once the right person comments on it.

Thanks Kate, that was all we needed to know to close this case ..

http://www.yump.com/images/wolfgang_run.gif
    IP