Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Heard Xara canned all the programmers who were working on the drawing products. Can anyone confirm or deny?
    IP

What area of the world do you live in, who was the competitor, etc?

Sounds like your are just fooling around.

Hard facts please, not rumor. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll
    IP

That's made my day - fantastic news!

--
    Graeme
    Graeme
    IP

Sometimes it's so easy, once the right person comments on it.

Thanks Kate, that was all we needed to know to close this case ..

http://www.yump.com/images/wolfgang_run.gif
    IP

Hopfully!!!!!!!!

I went out to the DrawPlus site (serif.com) and checked it out, it seems VERY similar to XaraX in many ways and Sheffield is right, very nice navigation and seems really clean and well maintained!!!

Features that look a little too similar to me are:
    Auto Trace Bitmap to Vector
    Shadow Tool
    Mould tool
    Fill are very "Xara" in how they were explained
    Chain Lines are like the Brushes (hmmm, wonder if they cause error messages and then the program goes 'by-by' [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img])
    Roll overs and other web features...

It goes on and on and on and on..............

I am having my doubts about trashing this guy so much, maybe he is offering us some info that may be valid. So why not get as much info as we can about this whole situation and if it's true then we need to accept it if it's not then we kill the bastard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] (Really, I'm a nice guy, reallly I am [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img])

As for the transparency limitations and feathering being absent, if they indeed have brought on board the "fired" designers (nothing worse than pissed off geeks!!) they might just do a version 7 real soon!! Including all of that.

So if Xara is bringing on board NEW BLOOD to spice things up and hopfully improve things then maybe this other company will give the fire under Xara that they might need and WANT (sometimes we all wish we were the bigger fish in the pond but then we get bored when it happens)!!! We all need to have a competitivness, that's what keeps us moving forward. You really can't compare XaraX to Draw or other apps. It beats the pants off all those others, AND they are way to expensive, while XaraX and it's commpanion products very affordable. So XaraLtd. really is in a class all it's own.

So here comes DrawPlus with, JUST MAYBE, some X X'ers working on it to build it up. Just gives XaraLtd. more incentive to do better and better!!!

What's that old saying from the "book": "Don't judge, least you be judged" Let's see first then decide folks!!!

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---

[This message was edited by RAMWolff on July 10, 2002 at 10:55.]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

Now that I've seen Serif's website and perused their products I'm very impressed. Without having a try before you buy download of DrawPlus I really don't know how it stacks up against Xara, but I suspect that it suffers from the same weaknesses.

On the other hand, I am very impressed by the CONTENT of the site and ease of navigation. I like their online manual. If I were to compare the Xara to Serif, I would say based on website content and consistency alone Serif would be a winner. Their products seem to have a unity that is lacking in Xara's products.

But until I have demo of DrawPlus, I see no reason to switch...yet. Serif is doing now what I wish Xara would be doing. They have employees responding to customers in newsgroups. Xara seems to rely on its community of users to provide support. Xara really should have their own forum on their site rather than a third party hosting it.

If indeed Xara's engineers are now working on Serif's products, one can only hope they will produce something awesome.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com

[This message was edited by Sheffield Abella on July 10, 2002 at 10:12.]
    Sheff
    My Site
    IP

Thanks from me too !!!

Friendly,
    ivan
    IP

Last I heard which was very recently, Xara 3D 5 is almost ready to ship. As you all know, Xara does not like to ship until they are satisfied the product is as good and bug free as possible before they release.

Development for Xara X continues, although I have not heard any mention of a release date.

Xara is a small company committed to producing high quality products.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

IP

WHAT?? No slaps?? Darnit!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

I've got another bit of insider info for you. Microsoft is going to lay off all their programmers, too. But don't tell anybody you got this scoop from me.

Check it out at www.idonothavealife.com.
    Back to lurking.

.joroho.

http://www.joroho.com/initials.gif
    Wise men still seek Him.
    IP