Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Printers

Can anyone give me any pointers to
    a good printer for fine art and
    poster printing. I've done the
    rounds of manufacturers-Resellers sites.
    Epson, HP, etc.
    But being a naturally cynical person
    ( comes with age) I always doubt the claims
    made by people selling anything. So if anyone is
    in the business or uses one of these large
    printers. perhaps they could give me their
    opinion. I already have an A3+. but want
    a larger format.

Thanks, Brian.

Can anyone give me any pointers to
    a good printer for fine art and
    poster printing. I've done the
    rounds of manufacturers-Resellers sites.
    Epson, HP, etc.
    But being a naturally cynical person
    ( comes with age) I always doubt the claims
    made by people selling anything. So if anyone is
    in the business or uses one of these large
    printers. perhaps they could give me their
    opinion. I already have an A3+. but want
    a larger format.

Thanks, Brian.

If you need to print "poster" size. That will be difficult without a plotter (big $; ie, An HP, 600-dpi plotter is in the $8,000 range I think). I use an HP 1055 plotter at work and it does a very nice job but its expensive. (When you replace the ink wells you also replace the printer head.) I'd go to or call your local "blue-print"/printer shop and see what they are using.

I have not checked printers recently. However, at my work place I do have an Epson 3000 which accepts sheet stock of up to 13 x 19 inches. It can also print from roll stock. It has HUGE individual Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black ink cartridges; each usually take me a year to use-up. They cost $69 each which is a lot cheaper than buying much smaller smaller ink cartridges at $18 a pop (Most other brands and models of ink jets have the smaller cartridges ... BE SURE TO CHECK THIS OUT BEFORE BUYING as this is very rarely advertised).

The 3000 originally resaled for $1700 and is now going for under $1000. Its technology is older now so its color may not be the absolute best (I've had a few minor issues with black). I also use it to print directly on some extremely thick card stock so the feeding mechanism has needed maintenance.

Now here's a TIP. I found out from a repair person (in an authorized Epson shop) that the printhead of the newer Professional 5000 series will fit in the 3000 model. It is essentially the same head but with newer electronics enabling it to print finer quality. Its replacement cost I believe is approx. $20-30 more than the 3000 printhead (for a total of approx. $130). Soooo ... if you were to find a used 3000 which has been taken care of, you could by have the printhead replaced and have a pretty good "up-to-date" printer at a a fairly good price

Thanks for the input John.
    It's appreciated.

Brian.

Beware,
    All inks fade, many pigments fade. I've seen magenta go in one day. If you wish for your work to be around for even a few years, do your own fade testing.
    Manufacturers make claims backed by "color scientists" that are unfounded. The profanity filter prevents me stating my true feelings.

All reputable printers & mfgrs will give you samples. Fold them in half and place in sunny window for 90 days. There should be NO NOTICABLE CHANGE. NONE. ZERO !

DO NOT RELY ON CLAIMS. DO YOUR OWN TESTING.

Regards,,,,,Tad .

Thanks Tad.

Brian.