Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

No offence was taken. All is fine in Xara-Xaraland.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Hey, everyone!

Well, I'm back again with another cover. Wolf, thanks VERY much for the compliments on my Organyzed Rhime (Oh, yeah, I DID spell it that way on purpose. For hip-hop artists, it's the norm, basicly). This cover is a job that I have been hired to do. I know it's not Pen&Pixel. But, I'm trying [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. Don't be too hard on me ok? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. Thanks guys.

RJ Swift
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drell.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	13616  

Thanx for posting your real coverart design. If you work at mastering Xara's text creation possibilities you will be outdesigning Pen&Pixel. This example and your earlier one show that the title renderings are the part you need to improve. I suspect those weaknesses are purely technical - you don't yet know how to accomplish what you really want to achieve. Right?

Both of your designs, with better title execution would rival Pen&Pixel's work. Give yourself some time to play with (and thus learn) some Xara-basics and I'm sure you'll discover it is a great tool for the kind of work you want to do.

An aside: I just had a idea for the DJ Drell image. Imagine if he was squating into a cityscape. A giant DJ Drell amongst the buildings that wouldn't come up any higher than his elbows. A Godzilla among men! Anyways its just an idea...

Regards, Ross

Hey Ross,

The flat text with the glow outlines is just photoshop text. The 3-D text is a photoshop plug-in that I descovered. The "DJ Drell" text is wrapped in a picture of a fence. I ALWAYS use my own pictures as textures as apposed to color presets in programs. I didn't use any lighting to give areas shodows. I know this now, I didn't know that then. But like you said, it's all that technical stuff I have to learn. I'm trying to import my own pictures in Xara for my textures, but I don't think that it's that type of program. I know that you can in Xara 3D, but I might not have figured out how to on Xara X. And thanks for the compliments on my other cover.

This one from recording artist DJ Xara was fun to make...

Regards, Ross

Name:	djxara.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	5991  

Hey guys,

The guys I designed this for like it very much. I descovered another program dealing with text called "Pixel 3D". This program lets you put your own textures from your hard drive. Also, it let me apply three different textures (front, bevel, and side of the text). It's almost the perfect program except when I save it and open it in photoshop, the image seems to lose quality (look at "Deadly Mindz" title and the two "G"s). The two "G"s (one is foward and the other is backwards) has a edited photo of ashes on the front and an edited photo of gold metal on the bevel and sides. The textures I used for the "Deadly Mindz" letters is a picture of diamonds that I minipulated and applied on the front as a texture. On the bevel and the sides, I applied a photo of gold that I took myself and minipulated. I'm going back and retouching the guys' photos, too. Hopefully they will take some better ones, because these aren't out of focus or badly scanned. They were bad pictures to begin with. This is just an early draft. Hope you like it somewhat. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Ricardo J. Swift

[This message was edited by RJ Swift on February 03, 2002 at 23:10.]

Name:	DOUBLE_G-CD-RScopy.gif 
Views:	328 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	2572  

Well, I'm a little late with this, but have had a busy couple of weeks. Here's my CD cover.

Mickie

Name:	cdCover.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	7459  

Forgot to add this to this thread! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve Newport

Name:	vitality.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	8102  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-