Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Remember a few months back when the free copies of C4D CE were included with 3D World magazine....at the time it was said you could just upgrade it to CE+ (full version 6)for $99 US but no one thought it would be possible to get to version 8 directly from CE. Well now it's happened! As a consequence I just acquired the full upgrade at an even lower price than offered normally and was able because of this incredible deal to get the 8.5 Studio Bundle. If you have acquired the free CE version and haven't yet been contacted directly from Maxon I suggest you look into it if you are interested in an upgrade deal.
    ---Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Remember a few months back when the free copies of C4D CE were included with 3D World magazine....at the time it was said you could just upgrade it to CE+ (full version 6)for $99 US but no one thought it would be possible to get to version 8 directly from CE. Well now it's happened! As a consequence I just acquired the full upgrade at an even lower price than offered normally and was able because of this incredible deal to get the 8.5 Studio Bundle. If you have acquired the free CE version and haven't yet been contacted directly from Maxon I suggest you look into it if you are interested in an upgrade deal.
    ---Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Sounds great Maya... thnx for posting this...

Just so happens someone is sending me thier copy of C4D CE as they have purchased the latest already... awesome...

Cool! Hope we get to see some nice modeling Maya.

What did ya get in the bundle?

I have the CE+-6 version.

Hi gidgit and Mike! The C4D 8.5 Studio Bundle gives you everything (also Body Paint)except the new separate module Sketch and Toon....the upgrade offers are on full packages of XL or Studio bundles or separate upgrades to just the basic 8.5 only without all the modules and Body Paint. The prices are quite attractive! I'm new at 3D, Mike, but sooner or later you'll see some stuff when I get rolling. I will also be looking into getting a better computer more suited to C4D....any suggestions on pc specs I should think about would be appreciated!
    ---Maya

P.S. Thought I'd better mention also that you won't find these offers on Maxon's website, you have to call their sales director or email to them about this offer. It also is available just to the end of this month unless they decide to extend it....so if you have an interest give Maxon a call.....

[This message was edited by Crow Haven on January 16, 2004 at 12:02.]
    -Mark Twain

@ Mike... hey Mike, tell me something, does C4D CE or CE+ even, have hypernurbs like subdividing, or is it just the basic divide, or are there other options for either hard divides and or soft smotth like divides as one would gain from using the 8.0 and up hyperdivides... I am sitting on pins and needles just a waiting for my CE disk to come and was wondering a head of time is all... also, does the CE disk contain Body Paint or would I have to get that seperate as well, and if it does come c/w with, does it leave a water mark when in said paint mode as the 8.5 demo does or is it clear sailing?.... so many questions and so little sleep... thanx in advance

@ Maya... good choice Maya... the more I render in C4D's 8.5 demo, the more I want this version bad like It's awesome to say the least... I hope you enjoy your new toy, er app , and can hardly wait to see some new stuff flying from your desk

Computer suggestions... um, er.... BIG... muhwaaaaaaahahaha...

seriously I personaly would go for the new 32/64 bit AMD machinec/w a VIA K8T800 chipset sporting motherboard, as this mobo has the best OpenGL performance of any...

this 32/64bit AMD solution will read both 32 bit apps, as well will be there for the 64 bit apps and OS's, whenever they show up... shouldn't put you back any more than a close to the top of the line Pentium whatever would... this along with a state of the art vcard will have you pushing the extremes of 3D...

just stay away from integrated video chip mobo's (they screw up 3D geom ), and stear away from from shared memory solutions...

that's about it that I know of... a good test is to ask your dealer if you can download Wings3D onto a test machine, and then take it for a run... if you see red dots as verts when in vert mode, all is alright, and if you don't notice funny tri's where there should be quads or ngons then yahooo, the durn thind works as should... really, I have been testing things out this way and you would be surprised at how crappy those integrated and shared solutions are, and Wings3D will find the cream from the crap in no time... push the poly counts on any complex, ultra divided primitive up to over 100,000 poly's and see if thngs are still rotating smooth or not ( Wings is a bog on high poly count's, so if things run fine with Wings, then they will no doubt be great for C4D... hth's some... and good luck on your purchase... and have fun with C4D.... 3D is a blast

Oh, and thanx very much for the heads up here regarding the upgrades

Thanks sooooo much for all the great advice gidgit!!!! I will try those suggestions when searching for the right computer!!!

Mike will have to answer your C4D modeling questions, but I can tell you that the CE disk you will be getting doesn't have Body Paint or the modules used with C4D 8/8.5. And the CE version has the limitation only of a smaller render area...but for very little you can upgrade to a full version 6 if that was your interest with no size limitation....but if you are dreaming about version 8 then you have many options from just getting the basic 8.5 or something with more whistles and bells.(There are some demos on the CE disk and tutorials, etc., but no demo of Body Paint---and the new version of Body Paint is one everyone wants badly and is soooo ultra cool.) That was another reason for my considering....I really wanted to get the new version of Body Paint (so the Studio Bundle fell within my means with this offer so I went for it) but it only works with version 8 and above.....so that's another reason I went for this opportunity to get the upgrade....and I felt it was worth it to me---an investment in myself.
    Thanks again!!!
    ---Maya
    -Mark Twain

Hey Gidgit, Yes, HyperNurbs, Extrude Nurbs, lathe Nurbs, Loft Nurbs, Sweep Nurbs, Bezier Nurbs.

No Body paint.

Here is the manual page pertaining to Hypernurbs.

Ooooooooooh!!! That sounds like a modeller's dream come true!!!
    -Mark Twain

Hey hey, thanx for the info you two... I suppose that I can learn to live without BPaint for a little while

Mike, great news that CE also divides with hyper... Thanks very much for this...

C4D's technology, regardless of the lack of ngon support, is still out of this world...

and though box modeling is still much more intuitive within Wings3D, when it comes to turning those boxy creations into smooth rendered models of joy, C4D is awesome to say the least... just be sure to clean up and convert all remianing ngons to quads before exporting from Wings as say .obj...

from there it is sweet stuff in C4D.... for instance, the keys on my music keyboard I just modeled... had I done a hyperdivide on them right away they would have rounded out way too much, and thus been substantially smaller, not to mention way out of shape... but do a normal divide first, to tighten the mesh and areas of influence, then do a hyper divide and voila, the keys are crisp in shape with just a very very smidgeon of a hint of bevel along the edges... like it was meant to be and talk about your lightning fast renders... yipppeeee, I can hardly wait... I mean I am using the latest demo as it were, but to be able to save is going to be sweet... and who cares about the 6 x 4 limited rendering for now... I can live with that until I gets rich enough to go all the way... still much practice to do first before I will worry bout that stuff

Oh Maya, you are going to have fun fun fun

Now let the new ZBrush come out so that Mike has a new toy too... fingers crossed for ya Mike... thnx again you two