Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Croquet

Xara people

We are currently having a croquet tournament at Gaddesden Place and the croquet lawn is less than ideal, and this inspired me to the following.
    Grass blades are brushes, each blade of grass is derived from bevelled shapes which had to be "converted to editable shapes" as the brush system does not allow bevelled objects in a brush. The brush consisted of three blades with random rotation, sizing etc.

Mark Goodall
    xara Ltd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	croquet.gif 
Views:	380 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	5258  

Xara people

We are currently having a croquet tournament at Gaddesden Place and the croquet lawn is less than ideal, and this inspired me to the following.
    Grass blades are brushes, each blade of grass is derived from bevelled shapes which had to be "converted to editable shapes" as the brush system does not allow bevelled objects in a brush. The brush consisted of three blades with random rotation, sizing etc.

Mark Goodall
    xara Ltd

Hi Mark,

Perhaps Kate Moir could promote an "open" croquet tournament as a cornerstone for an Annaul Xara Conference at Gaddesden Place.

As a kid, our neighborhood used to play the "sport of the wickets" throughout the summer with a final championship tournament at summer's end. Great fun.

John

P.S. now you need to create a brush stroke where the tops of the grass blades are cut. A manicured look would be more "British" would it not? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Well played, Mark.

Although John is quite right. Your course needs to be manacured and lazer leveled. And, I'm no master of Croquet, but isn't the ball larger in regard to the malette? And doesn't the malette and ball have colored stripes to distinquish them from the other players? I just noticed something else, are you playing dwarf croquet? The handle on the malette looks a mite truncated. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

On the other hand, the grass effect is really cool. Neat use of the bevel tool once again.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Early So Humble...

Gary
    Of course you are right on all counts, on closer inspection all my proportions are wrong, I will just have to try better next time. This drawing lark is more difficult than it seems!

Sean
    I am now off to the gardening shop to get a lawn mower.

Mark Goodall
    xara Ltd

Mark

I did not mean to be too critical. Honest. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

We went to a croquet tournament at a winerey in Northern California owned by a very wealthy family who were hosting the regional finals. They bragged that the course was "laser leveled" to an almost perfect flatness. I assume that Xara's field is laser leveled too? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Early So Humble...