Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eps export

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Also I don't know how to rename the file extension to .eps. I was thinking it would be straight forward like when you change the name of a file. So how do you change the file extension anyway? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not entirely all Xara's fault. There are many capabilities of Xara X that Illustrator is not capable of handling such as bevels.

Try converting all your special effects to editable shapes (Arrange > Convert to Editable Shapes). This reduces many of these effects such as bevels and shadows to simple bitmaps which Illustrator is capable of dealing with.

A more fool-proof method, is to Export your image as a TIFF file at a resolution appropriate to the final output. For example, if the image is going to be printed at 150 LPI (lines per inch) export it at 300 dpi (dots per inch). If the image is to be printed at 85 LPI (newspaper resolution) export at 170 dpi.

A TIFF bitmap image converts all the objects on your page to pixels and can be viewed and printed by anyone. And nothing should get lost in the translation.

A third option is to export your image as a Xara EPS file as this is Xara's native PostScript export filter and has been optimized for Xara's features and tools.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Thankyou kind folks for putting up with my tantrums. I'm gonna print this page out and try all your suggestions out. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

P.S. Gary you are everywhere and always very helpful.

Ok i'm off now

from a relieved prawn

You can select the *.ai *.eps export filter, and then enter your filename in quotes, ending in .eps

eg:
    * typing daniel will get you a file called daniel.ai

* typing "daniel.eps" will get you a file called daniel.eps

You can override the default extension like this in most programs in Windows. For example, if you right click this page in Internet Explorer and select View Source and then click File, Save As, the default extension will be .txt. That's little use for an HTML documnent, so before pressing Save, retype the filename as "filename.htm" and things will be just fine.

(You're not allowed " or ' marks, among others, in Windows filenames, but that's OK because we're not calling our files names with quotes in them, Windows knows we're only enclosing the name and extension in the quotes for its reference).

That's all quite confusingly put, but I can't think of any other way of saying it. Once grasped though, it's a useful concept to know because you can use it all over the place.

Daniel
    www.digitalred.com

Daniel that's a really cool [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] trick.
    So now i can get the eps file name but i have other problems. If you folks can bear with me a bit longer here it is.....

I've been trying to export a logo design into illustrator.eps format which i have now managed to do, however when i import the image back into xara to view it, it is just some black and white shapes. So i tried Garys suggestion and converted the image to editable shapes. This made no difference.
    So for an experiment i tried to export a simple image with flat colours and no effects on it, not even transparency, but alas the same problem. I really can't understand why xara can't export a simple vector image into a vector format when the creators say that it can. Is it just me or does anyone else have these problems? Does anyone know a way round it?

I'll try and attach the example
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I added the black background otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the white areas. I just saw three pairs of black eyes when i first opened the exported eps back into xara.

I wonder if it would appear normal in illustrator...is that likely?

The smallest prawn
    Attached Images Attached Images  

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by prawn:
    Is it just me or does anyone else have these problems? Does anyone know a way round it?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi prawn,

you're not the only one [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    My problem is the other way round - I can't get files from Illustrator into Xara, even simple type items (font outlines). See my posting:
    http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...8&m=9041902263
    But I haven't had a good crack at it yet ... I'll need to do some more experimenting before I give up ...
    From what I've read about EPS export on this forum, most people seem to consider this to work quite well now. So maybe it's a 'try, try and try again' sort of thing.

Regards,
    Britta
    "I'm mad as a bat"
    Regards,
    Britta