Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Is there a way to set the point size of a brush?

Let me explain what I mean. If I select the freehand drawing tool and draw a regular line I get a default line width of 0.5pt. I don't know why but it seems sensible enough. However, if I create a brush I always seem to get some absurd default line size 0f 239.6pt or some such which I then have to change to something more reasonable. I know I can deselect everything and set the point size and click OK to the dialog asking me if I want to use this for all future objects - but then I have to remember to deselect everything after I've finished and reselect 0.5pt as the current attribute. I know this is trivial but in practice it drives me crazy. Can anyone help?

Brian

Is there a way to set the point size of a brush?

Let me explain what I mean. If I select the freehand drawing tool and draw a regular line I get a default line width of 0.5pt. I don't know why but it seems sensible enough. However, if I create a brush I always seem to get some absurd default line size 0f 239.6pt or some such which I then have to change to something more reasonable. I know I can deselect everything and set the point size and click OK to the dialog asking me if I want to use this for all future objects - but then I have to remember to deselect everything after I've finished and reselect 0.5pt as the current attribute. I know this is trivial but in practice it drives me crazy. Can anyone help?

Brian

Brian,

I think it is dependant upon the size of the OBJECT that the brush was created from.

Try this as a test. Take your ojbect, make some copies of it, scale one at 50%, another at 25%, etc. Now create a separate brush from each. Then assign each brush to a different curve (all having a .25pt width to begin with).

After the brushes have been applied, check their line widths in the Info Bar. Are they proportional to the original object from which they were created?

And yes it kind of drives me crazy at a times too. Not that hard to do these days : )

Thanks for your suggestion - why didn't I think of that ;-)

From what I can see from limited experimentation, the point size of the brush appears to be about 0.75 of the height of the brush object in pixels. So if I want a default brush size of say 3pt then I need to rescale the brush object to a height of 4 pixels before creating the brush.

Ok but it's still a bit hit and miss. Wouldn't it be nice if among all the brush properties there was a place somewhere to specify the default brush size.

Brian

Brian

I believe you can also cheat this. Select the Freehand and Brush Tool and set the size. Then select the Selector Tool. Then when you select the Brush Tool again, you should have reset the default size. But this only lasts for one session. When you close Xara and reopen it, everything reverts back to the default settings.

When you create a brush stroke, it becomes the default for the session as well. Ditto colors.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone