Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Juddering menus

I have raised this point before both with XaraX.old and X1.
    I run the application in full screen mode; you loose nothing and yet gain valuable screen/work space.
    However the drop down menu's, file/edit/arrange ect. judder as the mouse pointer is passed over them when in full screen.
    The amount and severity of the juddering seems to depend on the size of the menu. Can anyone confirm; is it just me? Though I know it happens on other machines of mine with different hardware specs., (in different countries in one case), and if it's not just me, can it be corrected with a patch which I'm sure will be forthcoming in due course as it can be irritating at best.

derek

I have raised this point before both with XaraX.old and X1.
    I run the application in full screen mode; you loose nothing and yet gain valuable screen/work space.
    However the drop down menu's, file/edit/arrange ect. judder as the mouse pointer is passed over them when in full screen.
    The amount and severity of the juddering seems to depend on the size of the menu. Can anyone confirm; is it just me? Though I know it happens on other machines of mine with different hardware specs., (in different countries in one case), and if it's not just me, can it be corrected with a patch which I'm sure will be forthcoming in due course as it can be irritating at best.

derek

I;d never noticed until you mentioned it, but it happens for me in both X and X¹. It only happens as I go down below "Exit" (or the last option on any other menu).

See the two attached images - note that the one which pops down further and is blank (creating the flicker) is a line longer than the other.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	judder.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	1875  

Daniel
    Yes that more or less what I get and the file menu seems to be the worst. I put up with it in XaraX but I had hoped it would have gone away with the new release.

derek

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

I can duplicate the fail. Never seen it before today though. Never run in full screen mode.
    John/DOT

Tried both old and new versions, no judder on ether version.
    Big or small files loaded no problems, have run Xara since studio days and never had the problem and can't make it happen this end, hope that you sort it as it could be one of those things that get on your nerves.
    Still Xara rocks no matter what.

Hello

In full screen,placing the mouse at the top, shows the various menus. An individual menu only drops when I click it. By juddering are you saying that the menu flickers?

I am not quite sure what I am looking for.

Ha now I see what you mean. If I drop down the File menu and then rock the mouse up and down very slightly whilst pressing the mouse button on the word 'File' I get a flicker.

I cannot imagine that it would bother me.

Mike Engles

Mike
    Mines not a flicker, the menu 'file' or 'arrange' jumps as the mouse is passing over the edge, circling to land on the desired item; .... normally. I say normally because X1 has done it since I installed it and XaraX did it since installing XPpro but today, dammit, the menus are as steady as a rock, so there must be another factor involved.
    It obvious if you suffer from it you do and if you don't you don't, at least someone else has noticed it.
    I have, earlier, uninstalled some unused pieces of software so perhaps that accounts for the steady menu's.
    Like you say it's not the end of the world.

derek

I can't replicate this problem at all. No flickering whatsoever http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif