Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi
    I'm starting a web design company with my a programmer friend (sql, php, etc.) and I'm responsible for the graphics. I may go with this one but like anything its good to have some opinions.
    The site will be called Chasdesigns.
    BTW, we will go 50-50 for projects, the guy I'm hooked up with extraordinary. (IBM Scientific Research Design Engineer)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chasdesign.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	2056  
    Just messing around.

Hi
    I'm starting a web design company with my a programmer friend (sql, php, etc.) and I'm responsible for the graphics. I may go with this one but like anything its good to have some opinions.
    The site will be called Chasdesigns.
    BTW, we will go 50-50 for projects, the guy I'm hooked up with extraordinary. (IBM Scientific Research Design Engineer)
    Just messing around.

Hello Rhilker,

eh... it is okay. It doe not ring any chimes with me. A bit too complex for a logo.

I agree with John. Also, mixing aliased and anti-aliased graphics looks odd to me.

I like the lettering...but...not really sure about that thing on the left side of the word studios.

I get the point, too busy.
    The thing, is a stylized brush, the striped part was done at random but kinda looks like the continental US in a way. (unintentional)
    Like most of the stuff I do I have no preconceived plan, just start and let a concept evolve. Generally I wouldn't post anything but I felt I could use some feedback, I guess I was right.
    I'm not sure how it would look on the web page but I know I would never use it for business cards.
    I wish I could draw like you guys who use Xara, I have played with it but with little success.
    Just messing around.

Hello Rhilker,

Try a tut in the xaraxone. You will find that they are pretty easy to do. After a couple you will find that you are doing much better at using xara. If you have not watched the movies that come with xara, take an hour or so, and get familiar with the tools.

Thanks, I'll plug away at it.
    One thing I have noticed about xara is that it takes alot more steps to do anything as compared to PS or flash. I read a tutorial on how to do buttons and thought jeese, by time I did one button in this I could write java for the whole site but then thats too slow so stick to flash. Same thing with PS, the filters do most of the work, basically I'm lazy I guess. But when I see some of the work on the Xara gallery here I'm just blown away.
    Just messing around.

It is true that working with vector graphics is less intuitive and more labor intensive than working with bitmap apps like PS, but you have the advantage of really sharp graphics that you can resize or rotate without loss of quality. Start with the easy tutorials, follow them step by step. Actually do them, so you get the feel of the workflow and tool functions. Once you're familiar with the tools, it becomes second nature. Then you can concentrate on your ideas without being hampered by the technical side of it. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I expanded on the paint brush theme. Rendered in PS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chasdesign3.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	11318  
    Just messing around.