Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Whenever I try to open certain Illustrator files, I get errors even though it opens. Xara continues to run and I can save the file.

However, once I save it as Xara, I can't open it again.

What kind of lines/shapes are invalid? I figure if I can identify them then I can delete them before I save.

Don't bother telling me about the shortcomings of illustrator, I know what they are. However when you go to a site and you need to use a template for a design, then you have little choice between eps or ai.

Thanks in advance.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Whenever I try to open certain Illustrator files, I get errors even though it opens. Xara continues to run and I can save the file.

However, once I save it as Xara, I can't open it again.

What kind of lines/shapes are invalid? I figure if I can identify them then I can delete them before I save.

Don't bother telling me about the shortcomings of illustrator, I know what they are. However when you go to a site and you need to use a template for a design, then you have little choice between eps or ai.

Thanks in advance.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

I think the reason no one has resonded is because no one knows what the answer is.

I do know that Illustrator has a very unqiue way of creating EPS files and AI filea. But other than that I haven't a clue.

Can you post one of the images you are having problems with? (Not full size of course).

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I think Xara needs to work on the export and import issue on their next upgrade.

Oasis CD

The Link to the templates is on the left side under Facts and Forms.

I'm working on a CD insert and I needed to get the templates from this website. They have them available in EPS and in AI. They will be doing the duplication.

Both will open in Xara, but not without errors. The illustrator files generate "Internal Program Error 683". The EPS files generate the same error, but without the "Invalid Line/Shape" warning.

I've been able to get what I've needed and get working, but I would just like to know if anyone else has encountered this.

Try the templates out and see if you get the same errors.

And yes, I agree that Xara is in need of much improvement in import and export. Personally I'd like to see a wider range of other formats and more consistency with the ones that already exist. I'd also like to see the option of exporting bitmaps within a renderable eps file as cmyk. And I'd like to see the upgrade come sooner rather than later. Now that Dreamweaver MX & Flash MX are out, maybe they can do that.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Xara can only import up to Ill 8. The files may have been saved in Ill 9 or 10.

I downloaded one of the files and it opened as you noted with an error.

I saved the file and also exported it as AI and neither would come back into Xara.

Two things you can do.

1. Put the opened file on one layer and recreate the template on a new layer and delete the old AI template.

2. Try going through Illustrator first.

3. If you don't have Illustrator, e-mail me and let me know the URL for the template you need and I will see if I can do it from my copy of Illustrator.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Open (instead of Importing) the file using the Adobe Illustrator (AI EPS) filter.

The file may come in below your page. Use the Zoom to Drawing magnifier icon on the Infobar to zoom to the images.

Select All (Ctrl a) then Convert to Editable Shapes. All the text will be converted to shapes too but I don't think this should be a problem.

Now save as a XAR file and it should open OK.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone