Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Careers ...

I am the type who becomes easily bored so I have had not a career but a series of diversions. While in school I earned money by playing craps and writing essay homework assignments for lazy students. A couple of scholarships would have sent me to university but I found nothing interesting so played coffee house blues and jazz instead. Unfortunately I couldn't make much more than enough to pay for my food and drink so I eventually drifted into general insurance where I learned property and casualty insurance. Over the next 3 years I eventually became the youngest property inspector in Canada but tired of it a year later. Got married and decided to sell high end hi-fidelity systems instead. If you are going to make a change you may as well go all the way. My wife was in insurance and when the B.C. government got involved a lot of companies left the province. She was offered a promotion and transfer to Toronto so off we went and I became a clerk for a major photo equipment chain.

A series of promotions brought me into upper management. That was okay but there was not really very much to do. Meanwhile I had developed a small reputation as an art photographer so I quit and pursued that for a while. That was okay at first but I ran into a brick wall when I discovered just how political the art world was and that I had no stomach for it. Meanwhile we got tired of Toronto and moved to Ottawa where I discovered microcomputers and entered management at Zenith Data Systems. A series of accidents led me to set up a BBS which became immensely popular throughout both Canada and the U.S. (this was before the internet and web had really caught on.) I was asked to present an informal talk on the subject at the Ottawa Computer Club which had a membership of well over 1,ooo- mostly professionals. As a result I wound up earning a living by giving lectures to various large businesses and government institutions such as the RCMP and QETE.

My wife was also doing well and the pressures of our yuppie lifestyle and occupations left too little time for each other. So we decided to cut back and returned to Toronto where we bought a sailboat for relaxation. I became tired of management, etc and a simple, no-stress job seemed to be what I needed. So I sold pet food for a while. Turned out I didn't like not thinking so that didn't last.

Eventually we decided to just give up so we simplifed our lifestyle, moved onto the sailboat and retired in my mid-forties. We were amazed at how little money was needed once we left yuppieville so have remained retired for the last 10 years. Whenever unexpected expenses such as a new computer or software arise I design a few web sites or do some commercial artwork. Have also had a few small gallery shows and even manage to sell the occassional piece of "art".

This is not the career path I would recommend to those who seek financial success or public notoriety. But after more than 30 years of marriage my wife and I are still not bored with each other so it has its compensations. Definitely we do not have as much as in previous lifestyles but life is much more enjoyable for both of us. No idea what we'll be doing next year but we're sure it will be interesting.

ps. In between sessions I have also been a police dog trainer, writer, sold sailboat charters and did a number of other things you don't care about either. Had a tough time paying the bills by writing but it was infintely preferable to training dogs!

Are you bored yet? <grin>

I'm not sure if Mary Worth is still a viable comic strip but I have always been facinated with people's stories (as was Mary Worth--she was always evesdopping on other people's conversations then getting involved with their lives).

I guess in a way, we are all involved in each other's lives here. And as my long-suffering wife always points out, everybody has a story.

What about you shy folks out there? I know we have more interesting stories out there than the few fine ones recorded here for posterity.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Early So Humble...

I've been facinated by all the various day jobs people have.

I spent 20 years in Banking, I was a Operations Officer, then changed over to loan sales. This was a big mistake,the pressure was terrible. The last straw was when I was told to go solicite a home equity line of credit from a coach of a national football team who was dying of cancer. The guy had no family, good insurance and no need for the loan, and I was told not to let on I knew about his condition. I went home and threw up and quit.

Next I became a credit manager for a firm that made computer sub systems and controller boards. A few years later they went out of business from over expansion.

I next became a credit manager for a small firm that repaired and upgraded a major laptop computer line. After an attempt to manufacture a complimentary product for the laptop, they too went out of business.

This was in the mid 90's and the economy was suffering from the woes of the aeorspace industry and our house was actually going down in value. We quickly sold out and a year later moved where we are now.

My current profession is that of a "kept woman" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] My husband is a bit older than I and retired, so I said "me too!"

I was a volunteer at our local community art gallery for several years, and I still maintain their website.

Judi

Hello Everyone...

That postcard sounds sweet, Egg!
    Well, Im Dan, 15 Melbourne, Australia.

As soon as i earn enough money (from working at a Supermarket, scanning Groceries...) Im moving to Canada!

The Today Show from Australia went to Canada about 2-3 Months ago for a week and cover all the scenes, it looks sweet! And Cold!

Cutting to the chase...

Occupation: A Male "Checkout-Chick" who actually talks to their customers and has heapso' laughs.

I use Xara X, for desiging small business sites and personal pages... Not for the pay, for the fun and challenge of it...

"Stay happy and laugh!"

Dan'o.

I found XARA through a new friend about 2 months ago. It was the type of program that I had been looking for for about 4 years. I'll explain that later.

Age 14 worked for my mother here in St. Louis Missouri (USA) until I was 16. Mom was the person who managed the operations of a establishment for the mentally challenged. This made work very interesting.

Age 16 worked for the local grocery store (Dierbergs Supermarkets) as a bagger. I think this was where I developed my spacial relations.

Age 17 worked for a local pizza restaurant called IMOS Pizza. It's kind of a St. Louis tradition thing but I ended up working for them for 6 or seven years. I started as a delivery person and moved up to a district or regional manager. I never really could see where being a regional manager of the only region around meant anything. I think the owner was trying a passification tactic.

Age23 quit working for IMOS and persued a career in the Landscape world. I worked for the largest Landscape comany in the area. I was the forman in charge of masonary. Patios, Sidewalks, driveways, retaining walls and such. Very cool job, but very hard work.

Age 24 Became state certified as a Paramedic. Don't ask. AS I said before the Landscape thing was hard work. My fiends dad was a fireman and he only worked 9 days a month. And most of the time in those nine days he was sitting around in the air conditioning or sleeping. I thought, WoW, this sounds like the life for me.

Age 25, Started working for a local ambulance service. Abbot Ambulance. They are now owned by Laidlaw.

Age 26 Started working for a county ambulance service called St. Charles County Ambulance District which I stayed on for 6 years.

Now this gets back to my friends dad sitting around or sleeping most of the time. This is what I did for six years. The only problem is that you are stationed at a district station house for 24 hours. It gets pretty boring. I will get to the point now so this story doesn't get boring.

During the past 4 years I have owned one of the St. Louis Internet directories. My company started out as one of two directories for St. Louis. We since then have added Web development, Web Application Development, Web Strategy Development and Streaming Media Services to the list, focusing on everything except the directory. You can't make any money with a directory. That is what I am doing now.

As I said in the beginning of this long drawn out history or footnoted history of me, I sumbled across XARA X a couple of months ago. For these 4 years I had been looking for a graphics program that I could actually use to draw. You see, I am not an artist. I fail to be detail oriented. I fail to have patience. I fail to have attention span. I never thought that this program was out there. Something that would allow me to sit in one spot for more that 5 minutes and acutally finish a project. This is it. I even have seen some creative things pop out of my fingers. I have told about 50 people about this program. I think most of them use it now. O.K. it's late and I'm going to bed.

John Furr
    St. Louis MO

I’ve been lurking on the board off and on for a few months, and was fascinated by this thread—so thought I would be one of the shy people to respond.

I’ve never really had what I considered a career—just whatever job I was doing at the time. My early jobs included pet-sitting, answering phones, and being a veterinary assistant. Received my B.S. in Wildlife Biology in the mid ‘80s after not changing my field of study to art (though I did think about it); and worked on a forest service fire crew for a couple of seasons. Then went to Liberia as a Peace Corps volunteer [as a fisheries technician]. Didn’t really enjoy that all that much, and didn’t really know what I wanted to be ‘when I grew up’; so when I came back, I spent a little time illustrating cards and stationery. [I also illustrated in clay for a little while for a small local business.] Worked for the Forest Service off and on for the next few years—then went to work for them full-time in 1991 as a Hydrologic Technician. My job varies with the season, of course, and over the years has ranged from monitoring stream flows, to ground-truthing satellite data in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, to researching the histories of abandoned mines, to inventorying stream condition and fish habitat. I still don’t know what I want to be ‘when I grow up’—but I do know that I want to spend more time on artistic endeavors. [And I really want to learn how to use some of the graphics programs that are out there—including Xara—which I recently purchased. I hope to work through all of the tutorials eventually—but have barely started. (I’m a little bit lazy, and easily distracted.)]

I guess I'm one of the few women around this forum.
    And I'm actually a musician, not an artist.

I went to Berklee College of (Jazz) Music in Boston, toured with a
    Top 40 show band for years, & played in Las Vegas for a few years, too.

I thought I had reached the top of my interest & abilities as a musician,
    so in 1982 I moved to Israel, where I still ended up working as a musician.

Finally, in 1989, I moved to a communal settlement in the south of Israel,
    where I have worked in music, carpentry, plumbing, sewing, and now Web designing.

I really have no artistic talent, but with the help of Xara X, Adobe LiveMotion, and an HTML editor, I can fake it well enough to design Web sites that people pay for.

These days, when our local news is too full of bombings & imminent war, I turn off the TV,open one of Gary's tutorials & lose myself in the world of Xara.

Wow, look at all you guys [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Nice cross section of people. I can't seem to get my old "nick" to work (ivca). I re-registered because of it. I changed some of my details awhile back but haven't been able to login... and I don't think password was one of them, but...

I've been away from the board for awhile and for this very reason. I landed a job with a company I left about a year ago. I used to monitor production numbers and quality control on the floor. They cut back and wanted to overhaul much of their operations to automated systems for fabrication. The owner called me up about a month ago and asked me to join them again in a new capacity. I'm spending much of my time learning new systems and software like Visual Manufacturing and Solid Edge. So, I'm back with them thankfully earning a decent salary (again).

After high school, I played drums in a rock band (best time of my life). We toured Quebec and Ontario.
    For about 10 years, I worked at every concievable job you could think of. From shovelling manure to security guard to dishwashing, carpentry work, typical transient fare.

Insert anecdote here:

Shortly after high school, I landed what I thought at the time, a dream job. I'd be a photographer and I'd be on the road. It didn't turn out that way. It wasn't too bad, but National Geographic -- it wasn't. It was a trade magazine for farm equipment and from Monday to Thursday, i'd travel all over eastern Ontario shooting farm equipment for sale by people and businesses. I'd report back in on Friday to develop all film and organise conact sheets etc. It was going well for a couple of months. I had a paltry travel expense that would budget for only roach ridden motels and grilled cheese sandwiches, but I was young and didn't mind the sacrifice. Small price to pay to see beautiful scenery and meet great people.

Ok, so Monday I'd leave with a ton of bulk film cut into rolls of 60 or so shots. I loaded 2 cameras and kept reserves in my bag. One particular week was a busy schedule and had to squeeze many stops in. I left on a Monday and scurried around for 3 days travelling about 800 to miles, I was on schedule. The boss is going to be happy! I'm getting tons 'O' shots. Thurdays morning rolls around and I figure I'm at the end of the roll on camera 2, so I go to change the film in both and to my despair ... both had ZERO film in the camera. I sit there dumbfounded (stress the dumb part). My head is spinning 'cause I'm on the last leg of my cross country jaunt with the realisation that I have nothing to show for it. After settling down, I get on the phone to face the music and explain to the boss that I forgot to load my cameras. I was met with silence at first ... then he burts out laughing. What a relief. He thought the whole thing was hilarious. I ended up backtracking 'till Friday to re-shoot. Ended up working the rest of the weekend to make the press. The next week, some of the staff wrapped my car up with about a 200 yards of spent film before I took off on a road trip so I wouldn't forget film.

If you got this far, thanks for reading.

Ross, you can disqualify me. I have many N.S. postcards. I got them to send out when I was there, but I got doubles for my own photo album 'cause they're awesome shots.
    People, Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail is a "must see" if you make it to N.S. Of course, this is besides visiting Ross [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Take care y'all ... Wayne

Hi Ross,
    I'm working in the IT department for a nice company (Plantronics) at Mexico's site, we create those tiny headsets for computers, cellular and office telephones, and my activities are related to create reports in the Business Objects application, world wide support for the Plantronics clients, SQL and Oracle databases, in my spare time I like to program in Visual Basic, play the guitar and lately using Xara when I get bored.

Maybe in a near future we will be using Plantronics wireless headsets on this forum and really hear our voices, when we drive our car or at home.

Saludos,
    Juan Carlos

www.plantronics.com
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

I was born and raised in the Southern USA (North Carolina and Virginia), but I spent my childhood machinating on how to get out of the South and move to New York "where I belonged".

From as far back as I can remember, I never intended to have any career other than the theater, and I worked at just about every aspect of it (except design) at one time or another. Majored in theater at Northwestern University. I spent 10 years as a professional actor, during which I discovered that my specialty was period roles, particularly British (go figure). When it finally dawned on me that "show business" was only a business and had nothing to do with "art", I stopped banging my head and happily went on with my life.

By that time, I'd taken a temp job (one of many) for a small company with whom I got on very well. It's over 20 years later, and I'm still here. I wear just as many hats as I did in the theater, and I work just as many hours (minus the downtime between "shows" <sigh>). OTOH, I may be frustrated, but I'm never bored. I'm constantly working on something that I've had no time to master, so I'm frequently challenged. And I have much more autonomy than I ever had in the biz (except when I was doing a one-woman show).

The company develops medical record software for healthcare facilities (hospitals, clinics, large physician groups). My usual title is Managing Editor, because we've never found anything else that covers my activities. I write, edit, design and/or publish software documentation, online help systems, sales collateral, proposals, newsletters, demo disks, contracts, functional specifications, user group materials, user communications, presentations, and anything else that turns up. I get involved in the text and layout users see in our systems (way behind on this one). I'm the backup for the administrators and periodically oversee the office staff. I'm also the backup for the trade show staff, so I demo our software at conventions as needed. Oh yeah, I forgot the website (but then I often do) and the databases (who cares).

Since I don't draw, my artistic efforts revolve around page design and manipulating clipart. Thanks to Xara, I've been able to take those efforts far beyond anything I previously thought I could do. Thanks to Gary's tutorials, I've gotten some of the graphics education I never had. Thanks to the explosion in the forum of tutorials from other contributors, I can see how much farther I can go (some day).

Now, if I could just get through some of these deadlines and get back to Xara...

BTW, Juan Carlos, I just bought a Plantronics headset phone for home. My ears and my neck send compliments to you and your colleagues. :-)